Flag of Singapore

Singapore forum

Backpacker Accommodation options?

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

Hi folks,

Myself and my girlfriend are heading to singapore to a mates wedding in june as part of a 6 month trip to asia.
    The wedding is at the very beginning of our trip, and the fact that singapore is meant to be very expensive is kinda worrying for our budget.

Can anyone recommend any cheap backpacker accommodation in Singapore?

The wedding is in the Conrad Centennial hotel.

Obvioulsy we will have extra money to spend for the 2 days we are going to be in Singapore but we don't want to spend alot on accommodation as its only a bed at the end of the night.

Thanks for any help you can give :)

#1 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 07:53

• Advertisement

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in Singapore for a few nights last year, and yes it is really really expensive!! We ended up staying at the Cosy Corner Guesthouse in Bugis- its a hostel, but we had a private double air-con room, and left the aircon on when we went out which meant when we came back in after sweating to death outside it was LOVELY! I won't lie to you, it was a bit of a dive, but we found it clean enough, quiet, and in a brilliant location and at $43 (Singapore Dollars) it was the cheapest we found, and believe me we called/viewed a lot of places! The bathroom/shower facilities are shared but are, again, clean enough. There's also a breakfast included i think but we didn't fancy it, and never managed to get up on time even if we had!
    All in all, I would recommend this place- it was comfortable and clean, cheap! and the location is really good.
    Hope this helps!

#2 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 19:49

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

You can go to google maps and type in the search bar "Hostel near Conrad centennial singapore." You can pull up a list from that and do more research.

If you plan to use the MRT to get to and from the Conrad Centennial, it will be most convenient to find a hostel on the circle line. If that convenience matters to you, the YMCA International House is near the orange line but it is not the cheapest place to stay. The stop nearest the Conrad is the Promenade. Getting around by MRT is easy so it is not a big deal if you have to go to an interchange.

See the transit maps here. The orange line is the circle line.
    http://www.transitlink.com.sg/images/eguide/mrt_sys_map.htm

#3 Posted: 24/3/2011 - 16:17

• Ryvyan

Joined Travelfish
    24th April, 2011

Not sure if this would come in handy but I head over to gothere.sg, plug in my starting and ending points to find out the best way to get to a place. They have an iPhone app too, but it's not free. I use the site often when I'm at an unfamiliar spot, or simply when I want to explore new places (lots of places I haven't been to even though I was born and raised here, and it's tiny lol)

For accommodation, any places along the Red/Green lines would be alright because yhe hotel is easily accessible from City Hall station via the City Link Mall (ask the MRT staff located at control station if you need help; there are also huge maps within the station to orientate yourself; not unlike London). Even then, train transfers are easy.

If you're near enough, many buses ply the roads surrounding it as well.

#4 Posted: 24/4/2011 - 21:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Backpacker accommodation all gone? confused. ... By SamJames on 14 Mar 2014 65 3600 3 Apr 2014
backpacker accommodation in sihanoukville, cambodia ... By bakpakk on 8 Jun 2010 6 6219 16 Sep 2010