Flag of Singapore

Singapore forum

HELP..SOS..AHH!!

• danielleand-
    mike

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Hey, if anyone could help me thats an experinced traveller i would truelly be greatful!!
    me and my boyfriend are travelling next month..are plan is:
    fligh to bangkok then train to laos, train to north vietnam (hanoi) then train north to south vietnam. eventually train heading back to bangkok were we will again travel by train south through thailand ending in singapore to get a flight to syndey.
    Thing is we dont really no what to expect and havnt a clue what its goin to be when we get there!
    is it easy to book train tickets and would we get them from the train station? ((stupid question i no))
    also can we cross borders by using trains or is this by bus only??
    has anyone ever got a visa for vietnam whilst in bangkok if so are they much cheaper then getting them from the veitnam embassey london (£50).
    any other help/tips/anything would be greatful.....oh also buget wise weve planned (buget is between us) £1500 for 8weeks train fair and accomodation. and £70 a day for food and tours is this enough??
    Thankyou to who ever replies.
    Danielle and Michael.

#1 Posted: 7/4/2011 - 10:27

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

No trains from Laos to Vietnam. No trains from Vietnam to Thailand. You'll want to rely on buses for those parts of the journey.

train travel: http://www.seat61.com/
    bus travel: http://www.busstation.net/busstnasp.htm

#2 Posted: 7/4/2011 - 11:08

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Plenty of threads on here debating budgets so have a look around as it really depends on what level of comfort you're looking for. We spent under $60 each per day across our 7 month trip and certainly didn't slum it - so I think your budget's plenty but read up on what others say.

#3 Posted: 8/4/2011 - 08:51

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Land in Bkk, take a couple of days and acclimate. Take a train and work your way north to Udon Thani. A bus from there to Vientiene. You can get a sleeper...500 baht or so? Someone can clarify. 70 pounds is about 115 US dollars. Half of that is more than enough to eat every day among two normal sized people and the rest will be enough for an occasional tour. You won't need many tours. You can see most of what you want without one. As far as the about 2400 you have for accommodation and fare is more than enough. Figure around $20 a day for accommodation. A little more sometimes when you want better. $30 will be nicer. Some people think $10 is nice but I don't. You are fine money wise. Just get a budget for each link of major travel (train through to Singapore) and you will have an idea.

A flight or two will help. Internal flights can be cheap in SE Asia. Singapore has hostels in the $30 range. It will seem expensive compared to the rest of SE Asia but just make pretend you are back in London and then it will seem a little cheaper.

#4 Posted: 8/4/2011 - 12:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.