Flag of Singapore

Singapore forum

Singapore Onward Travel Proof

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia

I'll be entering Singapore in June from Australia on Jetstar. I understand that there is an official requirement for people entering Singapore to have proof of an onward journey as is the case with many countries. However, I also understand that immigration officials in Singapore don't check for proof of onward travel. My question is, do Jetstar in Australia check for proof of onward travel?

I called Jetstar and they told me there is no requirement at checkin to prove that you have onward travel booked, but I'm skeptical. I was just going to book a cheap air asia ticket out of Singapore, but with all the airport taxes, it comes out at over $60 and I'd rather just know what the real situation is!

Does anyone have experience with this?

#1 Posted: 29/4/2011 - 13:03

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Better late than never :-)

I was in Singapore a couple of days ok, flew from Bali both ways with Jetstar. At no time was I asked for any information regarding onwards tickets. Oddly on the return leg, a Japanese woman at the next desk was grilled regarding a return ticket from Bali, while me, not having one, wasn't even asked.

At the end of the day, it is pretty random. Loads of people leave Singapore daily by the land crossings -- if I was you, and this came up, I'd just say I was leaving overland as a part of your overland trip to Uganda.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 20/5/2011 - 05:24

• fox80

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2010

Hello,
    We flew from Darwin to Singapore with Jetstar in March and had no problem. I was also looking at this issue and hesitating weather to book a 'cheap' plane ticket from Sing to somewhere in Asia just in case to show it as a proof of onward travel. Eventually we decided not to bother as the 'cheap' wasnt so cheap after all (you can get a ticket for $10 but with taxes it would cost you at least $30 and for two peaple it wasnt worth it). I had a laptop with me at the airport so when checking it I was mentally prepared to book a ticket quickly in case they didnt allow us to board the plane. But it went smoothly. HTH

#3 Posted: 20/5/2011 - 11:02

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll roll up without an onward ticket, although I will have the backup of buying a train ticket from Singapore to JB on the spot at the airport if things get out of hand.

#4 Posted: 22/5/2011 - 18:54

• ryley

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2011

First of all you need to inquire about what are the facilities they are offering any discounts,and any other offers and etc..,

#5 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 12:59

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia

Just as a follow up, I arrived in Singapore a couple of days ago. At checkin, I was required to provide proof of onward travel despite the call centre telling me in wasn't required. They were quite relaxed though and my itinerary showing a flight out of Malaysia was good enough proof that I was going to be leaving Singapore. My advice would be to always have some sort of ticket booked to somewhere else and the problem will go away.

#6 Posted: 21/6/2011 - 18:47

• judymae

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2013

Guys, I need help on this one. I will be travelling to Sydney via Jetstar, then from Sydney- Darwin- Singapore, then Singapore- Manila. I am Philippine passport holder. I have a valid visa in australia, and from what I read from singapore website, i am allowed to stay in singapore for up to 3 mos. I wanna know whether

1.I would have difficulties when boarding my flight from auckland nz- sydney with an onward ticket to singapore, and not a return ticket to nz? I am a permanent resient of nz.
    2. and whether i would have problems boarding a flight from darwin- singapore? i have proof of onward flight from singapore to manila, and hotel booking in singapore.please help as i am confused about this one. any input would be great...

#7 Posted: 8/4/2013 - 05:52

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia

Well, you have tickets all the way back to the country which you have a passport for, so no problems. But you will need a visa for Australia.

#8 Posted: 8/4/2013 - 08:14

• judymae

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2013

yes i have a visa for australia, and my flight is from nz to sydney. my worryis that jetstar wont let me board from nz to australia because my onward flight is to singapore from australia. however i am enttitled to stay in singapore for up to 3 mos as philippine citizen. and i have onward flight from singapore to manila philippines. thanks much for thereply;)

#9 Posted: 8/4/2013 - 16:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visa on arrival (Singapore, Malaysia) with no proof of onward journey ... By jokalla on 21 Jan 2013 2 2259 25 Jan 2013
Proof of onward travel ... By Drew84 on 19 Feb 2013 22 4132 26 Feb 2013
No proof of onward travel! ... By sparkey66 on 23 Jun 2012 4 1710 25 Jun 2012
Proof of Onward Travel ... By JustinC474 on 26 Sep 2012 2 1699 27 Sep 2012
Proof of onward travel ... By jordyr88 on 13 Nov 2010 3 3897 27 Jun 2011
e ticket as proof of onward travel? ... By ee104 on 28 Oct 2008 1 3633 29 Oct 2008
Proof of Onward Travel in Thailand ... By stumac10 on 20 Mar 2012 2 1671 20 Mar 2012
Cambodia- proof of onward travel ... By bekk on 8 Nov 2010 2 3754 11 Nov 2010
Proof of onward travel required? ... By gottagetaway on 10 May 2011 3 2665 12 May 2011
Proof of onward travel on Air Asia? ... By JulietteR on 17 Feb 2012 3 1509 17 Feb 2012