Photo: At the Lee Kong Chian Museum.

Singapore forum

Where to stay in Singapore

Posted by jacquelinehope on 20/5/2012 at 07:54

Hi,

I'm headed to Singapore for the third time in July and was looking for advice for where to stay to get a slightly different experience from that I've had in Singapore before.

Both of my previous Singapore trips have been heavily focused on Little India , an area that I love but Singapore, as they say is a big small island and I want to get a feel for other areas of the island.

I'll be looking to spend no more than SGD40/night and am fine with/fully expect that I'll be staying in a dorm.

I was thinking that the Prince of Wales in Boat Quay (I stayed at the PoW in Little India on a previous trip and had a good experience) or the Betel Box Hostel in Geylang could be good options but I'm open to ideas.

Thanks
Jacqueline

#1 jacquelinehope has been a member since 7/11/2011. Location: Australia. Posts: 7
 Twitter 

Posted by tyler on 20/5/2012 at 10:36

I have stayed in a "Star" hotel in Geylang a few times. You might be able to find a single room for a bit more than $40...I think the cheapest I saw was $50/night with breakfast. But it is close to the MRT and the food choices tend to be a bit cheaper.

#2 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 21/5/2012 at 02:21 TF writer

Betel Box is a really unique area - lots of colourful Perankan shophouses, local restaurants, etc.

Otherwise, I'd suggest staying in Chinatown - it's definitely a big contrast from Little India - different sights, sounds, smells, languages! Try Beary Good Hostel or Pillows & Toast hostel - both around the $30 SGD/night mark.

#3 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.