Flag of Singapore

Singapore forum

2 days from SIN

• stingo

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2012

I will be in SEA for work : I day in KUL, 2 days in Penang and ending 2 days in SIN.

I was going to spend a couple of extra days on my own
    I can go earlier and give myself 2-3 days. What do you recommend?

I will be travleing alone and I am a female. Flying will most likly be my main form of transportation.

Any recommendations is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

#1 Posted: 1/11/2012 - 14:51

• Advertisement

• nicolettet

Click here to learn more about nicolettet
    Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2012
    Location Singapore

Hi there! Singapore is really safe in most areas, there are a few seedy places to watch out for but even so, there is nothing to worry about unless you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I work at a hostel and most visitors generally enjoy checking out Marina Bay Sands which is a 5 star hotel at the habour area, the main feature of the hotel is that it's 'balanced' by 3 rectangle buildings and on top there's a huge structure that looks like a ship. There's a rooftop bar called Ku De Ta which offers free admission before 9pm! Stunning views but a drink there will easily set you back $20-25. Alternatively, you can also check out the Skypark which is on the other side of the bar - that's $20 for admission and you get a wide space to take as many photos as you want.

Singapore's a multicultural city and if you have the time I would suggest checking out Chinatown , Little India & Bugis (which houses the Malay part of Singapore) :) Chinatown is pretty touristy but worth checking out nevertheless. Stop by Chinatown Point Complex for a meal which is a 2-storey alfresco eating area with lots of local/China food to offer! If you're into religious temples, the two main ones to go for are Sri Marimman Temple and Buddha Tooth Relic - they are both about a 7 minute walking distance from each other.

If you have more time to spend, check out Ann Siang Hill which is at the back of Chinatown. It houses rows & shops of boutique restaurants/bars as well as local designer shops :)

You can head up to Little India in the evening time when it cools down and get some good authentic Indian food from the galore of stores there. Check out Mustafa if you have the time, it's a 24 hour supermarket that has 4-5 floors and sells about every single thing imaginable. Prices are also really cheap and at 3am in the morning, you can often find families shopping there for appliances in the kitchen section! You do have to hand in your bag before you enter the mall incase of theft.

Bugis is a good place to check out if you want both culture and shopping. When you get out of the station, you can check out Bugis Junction, Bugis + and Bugis Street which are all cheap shopping havens for young teens. Pretty good deals there for cheap tees/earrings/shoes! At the back of Bugis is two streets called Arab Street and Haji Lane. Arab Street is where the Malay quarter would start with lotsa hookah/shisha joints, middle eastern cuisine and mosques. Haji Lane is basically hipster lane for all aspiring local designers, photographers & art students - it's a very niche lane to check out if you want to see items out of the ordinary!

Other places to check out in Singapore would be Gardens By the Bay (huge planetarium behind Marina Bay Sands - definitely worth checking out! admission is slightly pricey though), Clarke Quay (main nightlife area in Singapore) and Orchard Road (for more shopping)

Hope that helps! :) If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I'll try my best to help.

#2 Posted: 2/11/2012 - 01:30

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Depends on what you are looking for. You can quite easily spend 2 days in Singapore - as per the very good advice above.

Another idea to consider (and one that I would favour, having been to both) is to go to Melaka for a few days on your way to KL. It's 1-2 hours away by bus. Melaka is a nice little 'old town' that caters well for tourists, is easy to get to and has some interesting things to see (historical, cultural, etc) - and some great places to eat some excellent Malaysian food.

Just something else to consider.... http://www.travelfish.org/location/malaysia/peninsular_malaysia/melaka/melaka

#3 Posted: 2/11/2012 - 04:08

• SoonLoong

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2012
    Location Singapore

Hi nicolettet. Wow. I have stayed here all my life but I am pretty sure there are sights and sounds which I have not explored. Working at a hostel sounds like an insightful job, getting to meet people from all over.

Are you doing any travels in December?

Cheers.

#4 Posted: 18/11/2012 - 12:35

• CReneFriborg

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2012

Here are the places I recommend when you visit Singapore:

1. Sentosa
    2. Universal Studios Singapore
    3. National Museum of Singapore
    4. Singapore Zoo and Night Safari
    5. Singapore Flyer
    6. Jurong Bird Park
    7. Esplanade Theatre
    8. Marina Bay
    9. Merlion Park
    10. Marina Bay Sands Skyparl
    11. Bugis Junction
    12. Little India

#5 Posted: 21/11/2012 - 21:00

• SEADragon

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2012

Hi Stingo,
    Singapore has plenty to offer. Spending 2 days in the Merlion City is a good idea as I feel Singapore is very different from other places you will see in South East Asia. A recommended list of things to see and do for a 2-day stay here:
    http://www.tripinasia.net/trip/singapore/
    Of course, these are just recommendations. You can adjust your program based on your preferences and recommendations from other travellers.
    Happy travelling Lah (you will notice thatSingaporeans love to add "Lah" at the end of their sentences)

#6 Posted: 14/12/2012 - 23:49

• mariajames

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

Yeah I totally agree with you that the Singapore is one of the safe place in the world and very nice place to travel....

#7 Posted: 8/1/2013 - 09:16

• travelwithme

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013

Yes you can travel alone there is not any problem.

#8 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 04:17

• stingo

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2012

Hi guys....

Well, so my trip had been postponed .... until now! I am leaving for Penang on Monday, Aug 12.
    It's still a work trip and I am still traveling along however, I did manage to get a weekend in KL.

I will have 2 days in Penang, 2 days in KL and 2 days in Singapore.
    Other than KL, they are not full days as I still have to work during the day :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will report back on what I was able to see and do.

#9 Posted: 8/8/2013 - 16:55

• fubimo

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2013

#10 Posted: 21/8/2013 - 10:24

• Advertisement

• PeterMFL

Click here to learn more about PeterMFL
    Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2013

Singapore is the safest place I've ever been to! You don't need to worry about anything to 2 days will be enough to see most of Singapore if you wake up in the morning and travel until night.
    But it really depends what you want to do there.

CReneFriborg provided you with a great list on what you can do :)

#11 Posted: 21/9/2013 - 03:54

• Patriciareed

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2013

I work at a hostel and most visitors generally enjoy checking out Marina Bay Sands which is a 5 star hotel at the habour area, the main feature of the hotel is that it's 'balanced' by 3 rectangle buildings and on top there's a huge structure that looks like a ship. There's a rooftop bar called Ku De Ta which offers free admission before 9pm! Stunning views but a drink there will easily set you back $20-25. Alternatively, you can also check out the Skypark which is on the other side of the bar - that's $20 for admission and you get a wide space to take as many photos as you want.

Motocross Gear For Kids

#12 Posted: 16/12/2013 - 04:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.