Flag of Singapore

Singapore forum

Solo traveller in singapore

• scottyg

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2013

Hey guys im a 26 year old aussie male first time solo traveller stopping in singapore for 5 nights from the 28th of jan 2013 on my way to thailand. I'm not really into shopping which seems to be 1 of the main things to do in singapore. is there any thing you can reccomend to do for a guy my age. Or if any 1s around that knows some good spots or wants to explore togeather that would be cool to thanks

#1 Posted: 15/1/2013 - 16:31

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi scottyg,

Ok, you're not into shopping (neither am I!) but you don't really say what you are into. Musuems/parks/art/boozing etc. So, in lieu of that I'll point you to the Singapore blog which covers (at the moment) 46 things to do in Singapore. Come back with a bit more info and I'll refine it for you :)

Cheers

#2 Posted: 15/1/2013 - 19:52

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

#3 Posted: 15/1/2013 - 23:55

• scottyg

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2013

I like food and cooking. a little bit of drinking and looking at old stuff. and would be cool to meet some nice locals

#4 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 06:26

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

I love to hang around at Clarks Quay. Lots of great but expensive clubs, cool people, nice restaurants. Depends a little on the budget. But you can have hell of a party there :-)

#5 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 07:37

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Scottyg,

For old stuff to look at, the Asian Civilisations museum has a terrific collection.

For food and eating, you'll be spoilt for choice: restaurants, cafes, hawker centres, cooking classes.

Singapore has hundreds of things to do and see - have a great time!

#6 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 15:21

• Sam007

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Hi, Singapore gardens by the Bay is well worth a visit. The Cloud forest is pretty amazing and thereis a good choice of restaurants there too.

#7 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 03:11

• Katty

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2012

Hi Scottyg,

I am a female solo traveller and not in to shopping either but found plenty of things to do in Singapore, if you are reasonably fit, you can head over to Ketam Mountain Bike Park, I am a mountain biker so went for the mountain biking but realised there was a lot more to the island than that, you can hire a bike for about $5 for the day and ride around the park, or you can walk if you are not up for riding in the heat, I caught a public bus there and then you have to catch a boat over to the island, take a poncho, I got caught in torrential rain!

I really enjoyed Chinatown and Clarke Quay, I'm from Melbourne and Clarke Quay reminded me of Southbank, I stayed in a hotel there and there are some nice bars to stop and have a drink or a pub meal, you can get the hop on hop off bus to get around but I ended up just jumping on the public buses and ending up wherever I ended up, I went to Marina bay Sands but only because I had to drop something off at the theatre, while I was there I decided to go up to the observation deck, great view but not sure it was really worth fee unless you get a nice clear day.

I really loved Chinatown at night, I am a photographer so for me it provided better photo opportunities, as did Clarke Quay at night, I am really not much of a drinker so I cant offer advice on places to go out for drinks and big nights out if that's what you are after.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Kat

#8 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 05:41

• ehenness

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2011
    Location Canada

I'm a solo female traveller and I did this amazing food tour offered by betel box backpacker's hostel. I think it is only one night a week and costs 25 or 30 singapore dollars. It is very worth it as they tell you a lot about the history, culture, and contemporary issues in Singapore. You get to see the where average Singaporeans live as well as the President's house. All food is included and is a really wide range of Singaporean dishes. You will be stuffed! Great way to meet people as well. You don't have to stay in the hostel to go on the tour.

I highly recommend it!

#9 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 10:58

• scottyg

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2013

cool thanks guys this stuff sounds awesome

#10 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 14:15

• Advertisement

• melodykk

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2013

Hi scottyg, this may be a bit late but for future viewers of this thread, Haji land and Arab street is a cool place to explore too!

#11 Posted: 3/2/2013 - 21:50

• jamesonaugu-
    st

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2013

I visited the S.E.A aquarium at Singapore. its really amazing. and i loved the food in Singapore

#12 Posted: 28/2/2013 - 07:40

• johnno

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2009

Try to witness as much as possible of their unique culture. Forget spending too much time at places such as clarke quay, boat quay, esplanade. Forget the zoo, botanic gardens, large shopping centres. You have them back home. Take the train and stop at random places and walk around, look around, smell around, eat around! If I were you I'd circumnavigate the country via the train over 5 days. Check out interesting markets, shops like mustafas, food courts, etc. Try to find places/things that you dont have back home! Check out the museums too.

#13 Posted: 20/3/2013 - 01:43

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Singapore has a horse racing track. That would be a good night out. Boogie markets are good for food and the zoo is pretty good. Overall I found Singapore not that interesting compared to Bangkok. Singapore is mainly a business city. Sing prices are pretty similar to Australia and beers in bars can be more expensive. Usually people only stop for 2 to 3 nights there.

#14 Posted: 4/1/2014 - 08:28

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"Try to find places/things that you dont have back home! Check out the museums too."

They have museums, food courts and trains back home though. I like your idea of exploring but doing that for 5 days it would be same same a lot of the time.

#15 Posted: 4/1/2014 - 08:31

• CathyWeed

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2014

You may visit the Universal Studio in Singapore or ride in a cable car.

#16 Posted: 28/1/2014 - 01:58

• AndersonSmi-
    th

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2014

oh that's great , so you can give your whole time in roaming from one place to other. Go walking u will find lots of beautiful places.

#17 Posted: 1/3/2014 - 00:34

• nathuy

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Personally, I would suggest that making a trip to the Zoo, Night Safari or Jurong Bird Park is the best idea. I am a person who love natural environment and I hope you will love them after visiting. You will have a chance to encounter some of the world's most ferocious and rarest species.
    Try it by yourself!

#18 Posted: 6/3/2014 - 00:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.