Flag of Singapore

Singapore forum

Where to Eat

• leninkoh

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2007

Singapore is pretty renowned for her food, but chances are a random pick will not yield much. Here are some resources for you to sniff out great food places for any cuisine and budget.

www.ieatishootipost.com
    - somewhat of a national food critic whose blog really captures the whole gamut of the Singapore culinary experience
    - great source for independent, honest and useful food reviews
    - great for authentic local food

www.wineanddine.asiaone.com
    - by the most popular local daily -The Straits Times
    - serach by location, cuisine and price
    - generally good for restaurants and cafes

#1 Posted: 22/10/2007 - 12:12

• Advertisement

• leninkoh

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2007

correction to the above post:

the correct address should read www.ieatishootipost.blogspot.com

apologies :)

#2 Posted: 22/10/2007 - 12:16

• leninkoh

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2007

and the second link should be http://wineanddine.asiaone.com

#3 Posted: 22/10/2007 - 12:19

• katiekat

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2008

here's one place thats a confirmed must!

next door cafe on arab street

this hidden treasure seems to be a favourite for locals and tourists alike. i came by to have a cup of coffee and ended up staying for 3 hours and having something called a 'belgrade bite' which is a huge meal consisting of a (HUGE!) skinless sausage, potatoes & salad. they are also very proud of their (delicious!) apple crumble, apparently only tray is made per day and it often sells out before the day is up- if i ever find myself in singapore again i'm calling next door cafe in advance to reserve a portion, so worth it.

the girls working there were very friendly too, and even gave me some great advice on where to buy a digital camera (peninsula plaza, apparently - true enough thats where i found one!) actually, they were full of other great tips and places to visit ('best chicken rice isn't in novena, its far out in pasir ris, when shopping in sim lim always check that the box has all the parts in it and double check the warranty, see the carpet shop accross the street,' etc)

anyways, next door cafe isnt quite local food but its a great place to relax with a good book and a cup of coffee or to have a delicious meal and a cold beer.

next door cafe has a great european vibe and with all the information i got from their staff i think its the perfect place to start a day of shopping and sight seeing, or relax after a long day out!

100% must give it a shot!!!!

#4 Posted: 19/10/2008 - 01:09

• phil89

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008

I love reading travelfish and other similar forums to find out about olaces to go.For past 4 months I was located in Singapore and i traveled around as much as possible and that is where travelfish come useful. Since i m not much of writing person i rarely join discussions,but this time i will break the rule since i share the opinion of the Next door cafe. Being French myself i love such places that are relaxed,with reasonable good wines and generous food and really next door friendly service.I n my country or in Europe or America it would not be unusual,but in busy Singapore it is rare. I'm leaving Singapore(after new year) and one of the things I'll remember will be Next Door cafe for certain.

#5 Posted: 20/12/2008 - 19:48

• orionarrow

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2008

You can also try www.hungrygowhere.com for food ideas.

#6 Posted: 30/12/2008 - 21:15

• phil89

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008

yes, hugrygowhere is good for people who are looking for good food, in Singapore. Alas, i'm leaving on coming Monday after great New Year's eve in Arab street where people danced in the street with belly dancers,hip hopers and tapas and bordeaux at Next door cafe and MAGNIFIQUE baklava from SUfi restaurant. Adieu Singapour, merci travelfish....

#7 Posted: 4/1/2009 - 04:23

• harihara

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2009

I will try the places which have been recommended! Thanks a lot.

#8 Posted: 14/1/2009 - 10:07

• wwwsgminsuc-
    om

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2009

Maxwell Food Center and Tanjong Pagar Hawker Center has some really nice food.

Personally, i LOVEe the "Fried carrot cake" and "Fried Kway tieow" and "Peanut IceKachang" (all situated on the FIRST row of Tanjong Pagar Hawker Center) . Price is most economical but they mainly serve the afternoon working crowd.. so try not to go too late in the evening, some stalls may be closed.

#9 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 16:55

• pillz

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2009

Time to give something back to these forums!

Just to add: If you're not afraid of the heat and want to find local cuisine, the hawker centres are your best bet. (they are a colelction of stalls which sell a whole range of local food, but the downside is there is no air conditioning, but that makes the food overall cheaper)

Personally my favourite is the old airport road hawker centre. maxwell market is also good.

One hawker centre to avoid is the Newton hawker centre - yes it is convenient for most people, but the quality of food has gone down after renovation and soem stalls have a reputation for ripping off foreigners.

If you have a specific local dish you would like to try (eg fried carrot cake, char kway teow, hokkien prawn mee) i can tell you where my favourite stalls are, but unfortunately they are going to be scattered around the island!

#10 Posted: 8/6/2009 - 13:05

• Advertisement

• BeGum

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Last post is over a year old. Does anyone have any recent reports on good places to eat in Singapore? I am travelling there in December. Any reports gratefully received through Travelfish or the Dishfinders iPhone app

#11 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 20:42

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

Even though the post is a year old I would still agree with pillz recommendations. The hawker centers that are popular stay popular for years. There isn't a lot of turnover and once a place gets a reputation they generally do a good job of maintaining it.

When we were in Singapore last year we tried to hit as many of the the places on this list that follows
    http://www.makansutra.com/topten_sg.html

You can't go wrong with Maxwell which is very convenient to some of the tourist sites like Chinatown or the Old Airport Food Center which isn't quite as convenient. I would also agree about Newton not being very good.

La Pau Sat Food center is another good place to try, they have a ton of sate stands amongst all the other usual highlights.

#12 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 23:52

• BeGum

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Thanks for the advice / update smkuctha

#13 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 01:13

• piranha

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2010

Hi, i am a spicy food lover and i can not compromise with food. Where should I look for such places in SG?

#14 Posted: 4/12/2010 - 18:14

• piranha

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2010

I am also looking for meeting new people.

#15 Posted: 8/12/2010 - 20:21

• wanderlust4

Joined Travelfish
    4th September, 2011

Foodie - Lau Pat Sat or Jumbo seafood in Clarke Quay for Chilli Crabs, Fruit Rojak and Satay. Maxwell Hawker Centre for Hainanese Chicken Rice. Little India for Roti Prata.
    Backpacker’s Tip: Singapore has tons of good food in most of the hawker centres and alfresco eateries. Simple rule of thumb - if it has a queue of locals – the food should be good! Avoid Newton Hawker Centre which is known for high tourist pricing, unless you’re with a local guide. For gourmet fine dining selections, head to hotel resturants such as The Knolls in Capella Sentosa or Michelin resturants in Marina Bay Sands.

#16 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 18:24

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Go to Lucky Plaza, one of the older malls on Orchard Road, and go to Ayam Penyet Ria Restaurant. It's an Indonesian restaurant and the sambal (chili paste) served on the side is one of the few things spicy enough to bring tears to my eyes! Most dishes are S$5-10 bucks - I'd recommend the boneless chicken.

Another spicy favorite is sambal stingray - it doesn't taste much like fish, but the stingray is slathered in chili and lime juice, wrapped in banana leaves, then grilled -- delicious!! Most hawker centers, from Lau Pa Sat to Newton Circus, have a seafood stall serving this.

#17 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 20:15

• shintai

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2011

For Singapore tourists who loves to eat and dine, never forget to try the soo delicious Chili Crab :)

#18 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 20:43

• jacinthemil-
    ton

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2012

Thanks for the info! will put this on my restaurant list when I get there next week.

#19 Posted: 29/5/2012 - 01:29

• michaelmark

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2012

Well even i got my list for spicy dishes to eat in SG thanks for the information guys...

#20 Posted: 1/6/2012 - 04:40

• Ann80

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

Great thread. Appreciated! guys please recommend me a place for authentic Italian cuisine, some place you have personally tried :)

#21 Posted: 3/7/2012 - 06:56

• jems28

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2012

Thank provide this useful link.If i will go there than this link remember me.

#22 Posted: 20/7/2012 - 04:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.