Photo: At the Lee Kong Chian Museum.

Singapore forum

Best place to stay close to the train station?

Posted by caseyrebecca on 27/4/2008 at 00:51

My husband and I hope to stay with a friend for most of our time in Singapore, but we are taking the "Jungle Train" up to the Perhentian Islands and need a hotel near the train station for the night before our trip. Train leaves at 6am, so the shorter a distance we have to stagger at 4:30am the better! Thanks in advance!

#1 caseyrebecca has been a member since 22/4/2008. Posts: 10

Posted by kipcole9 on 5/3/2009 at 17:38

caseyrebecca, the train station for Malaysia (Tanjong Pagar train station) isn't really in a hotel kind of area. On the other hand you're only 10 minutes by taxi from downtown or Chinatown.

Below is a URL to a google map that shows the area. The label "A" is the train station. Google kindly thows up some hotels as well, but just treat that as a guideline.

Cheers, --Kip

#2 kipcole9 has been a member since 5/3/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by markyeo on 20/3/2009 at 02:42

Hello caseyrebecca,

The Tanjong Pagar train station is located near the financial district in Singapore. The nearest hotel would be Amara hotel, about a 3 minute taxi ride to the train station. However, its a 4 star hotel meant for business travellers, and pretty swanky, so be prepared to pay a little more for the location.

Another hotel within a 5 minute taxi ride is the M hotel. Check out www.asiarooms.com for more details.

Alternatively, you can stay at the Chinatown or Marina bay area. 10 minutes tops to the train station. I don't think you will be caught in the rush hour given that your train leaves at 6am. So no worries, any hotel in the downtown area or Chinatown would suffice. And not to mention, more value for money. And taxis aplenty at that time of the day, especially near hotels.

Regards,
Mark

#3 markyeo has been a member since 19/12/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.