Flag of Singapore

Singapore forum

3 (possibly 4) Days in Singapore

• kierjan

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

Planning a RTW trip and as part of it we're planning on spend 3 (4 at a push) days in Singapore next May. Any recommendations on what we should do in that time, things to see etc?
    Thanks Jan

#1 Posted: 29/4/2008 - 15:57

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi, I've spent a few days in singapore. Little India was an interesting place but only saw it at night. Apart from that, went to that tower were all the lady boy bars are. lol (4 floors)

Sorry cant help more,

#2 Posted: 30/4/2008 - 00:30

• Little1

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2008

Plan to stay at Beetlebox hostel and do their foodies tour (only available friday nights).

#3 Posted: 21/8/2008 - 14:49

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Hi kierjan,

Singapore is pretty tame, but there's still some cool things to see and do:

The Singapore Zoo and Night Safari: great open-air exhibits and lots of indigenous South-East Asian animals - Malay sun bears, proboscis monkeys, orang utans, etc.

Sentosa: man-made island full of family-friendly attractions and mediocre beaches. The Underwater world aquarium is pretty good.

Little India: One of Singapore's more vibrant and bustling areas - eat a dosa masala with your hands, buy some cheap Bollywood VCDs, and get your fortune told by a parrot! Avoid this area on Sundays as it gets REALLY REALLY crowded. The Mustapha Shopping centre is also in this area - it sells absolutely everything and is open 24 hours.

Orchard Road - If you love to shop, this is the place to go. The road is lined with giant shopping mall after giant shopping mall filled with designer clothes. It's quite the sight to behold, but not a good spot for bargain hunters.

Bugis street market - lively street market area with cheap t-shirts, the cheapest souvenirs in the city, fruit vendors and food stalls.

Lau Pa Sat - Singapore is well known for its food centres and this is one of the best. It's in a good location right downtown, too.

Esplanade Park - right downtown near the waterfront checking out the park and walking around downtown is one of the best free things that Singapore has to offer. There's a Merlion statue here (the half-lion half-fish "icon" of Singapore), the Esplanade theatres, shopping malls, coffee shops, etc. You can catch a boat tour from here, too. The Asian Civilizations museum is near here, too.

Clarke Quay - trendy area of restaurants and bars near the waterfront. Prices are a bit inflated, but the atmosphere is great - try to show up around 5ish for happy hour drink prices (2 for 1).

China Town - a very photogenic part of town and good spot to sample street food like "char kway teow" noodles and steamed buns. You can get rickshaw tours around this area.

As you might have guessed, I do live in Singapore and would be happy to field any questions you might have!

#4 Posted: 5/9/2008 - 13:33

• cactusjoe

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2008

I'm in Singapore for a few days before heading to Oz. I have been there before. I think I went to one hawker stand. I will be staying at the Classique.
    Is there a hawker stand near there?
    Any other suggestions for a cheap Canadian tourist?

#5 Posted: 22/9/2008 - 10:50

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

You're never too far from a hawker centre in Singapore!

Your hotel is in Little India where there are tons of cheap places to eat. A must try is the dosa masala. The big hawker centres in Little India are Tekka Centre and Little India Arcade.

Other big food centres not too far away are Newton Food Centre (at Newton MRT), Doby Ghaut food courts, and the food courts in the basements of the malls along Orchard Rd. Food courts cost a bit more than hawker centres sometimes, particularly if they're in a high-end mall. Regardless, it's always easy to get a meal for under $5 Sing :)

- a cheap Canadian girl living in Singapore :)

#6 Posted: 22/9/2008 - 18:42

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

For cheap Thai food go to Golden Mile Centre, AKA Little Thailand (Beach Road, near Lavendar/Bugis MRT).

#7 Posted: 22/9/2008 - 18:45

• cactusjoe

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2008

thanks for your advice

#8 Posted: 22/9/2008 - 20:10

• malique

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2008

and for middle eastern experience, arab street is just a walk away from beach road. :)

#9 Posted: 11/10/2008 - 16:16

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

I personally don't think any trip to Singapore is complete without a Singapore Sling in Raffles - costs you an arm and a leg but well worth it.

#10 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 01:33

• Advertisement

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

Raffles is fun to walk around, we had a singapore sling the first time we went there (on our honeymoon), don't know if I'd recommend it as I don't particularly care for "sweet" drinks and as one poster said they are overpriced. It is fun to wander around the hotel and grounds though.

Night Zoo is good and the shopping is great but to me Singapore is all about the food!

If you are a semi-adventurous eater then check out http://ieatishootipost.sg/ or http://www.makansutra.com/topten_sg.html . I think we hit about 8 or 9 of the top 10 on the makansutra blog. Our days were mostly spent planning on where we were going to eat and what.

We love Singapore mainly due to the food!

#11 Posted: 25/10/2010 - 23:15

• peter27

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

Singaporeis one of the most sought after travel destination and has a greatbeauty. Last year we were on a short trip to Singapore and visitedvarious attractions in a rental car. We hired quite nominally pricedcar form a company Pointcarhireand were able to book a car with a flexibility of selecting the pickand drop locations as per our need. While in Singapore, we traveledaround many places including exotic wildlife and theme parks, ChinaTown, Sentosa Island, beautiful gardens, shopping malls etc. OrchardRoad is a great place to go for shopping as it has a nice variety ofreasonably priced goods.

#12 Posted: 22/12/2010 - 18:53

• john_f

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2010

Another thing to do, which is quite fun, is to take the ferry to Pulau Ubin and rent some bicycles to cycle round the island. It is completely different to the rest of Singapore.

We also went to a park with a lake, can't remember what is was called, where there were loads of wild monkeys (although they were very used to humans).

#13 Posted: 22/12/2010 - 23:37

• john_f

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2010

Another thing to do, which is quite fun, is to take the ferry to Pulau Ubin and rent some bicycles to cycle round the island. It is completely different to the rest of Singapore.

We also went to a park with a lake, can't remember what is was called, where there were loads of wild monkeys (although they were very used to humans).

#14 Posted: 22/12/2010 - 23:38

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

The park with a lake and monkeys sounds like MacRitchie Reservoir.

#15 Posted: 22/12/2010 - 23:58

• Ryvyan

Joined Travelfish
    24th April, 2011

Don't go to Lau Pa Sar or Newton Circus if you can; too touristy. I was born and raised here and I have not been there properly since I was a teenager, and we are constantly shocked at the prices.

Obviously it's recommended for tourists, but to see the real Singapore you need to go to the more Singaporean hawker centres idreamofdurian has recommended!

On Pulau Ubin, I don't exercise very often and I wanted to give up while cycling around the island. It's the steep slopes and gravel (rent a mountain bike, not a road bike) that killed me. And bring lots of sunscreen and mosquito repellent.

If you're at Orchard Road wanting local food, try the Hainanese Chicken Rice (no relations to actual Hainanese food in China) at Lucky Plaza! Or this stall called Rabbit in same mall for lighter fare. Good exchange rates there, but shop around especially if you're not local because obviously you'll be prone to being ripped off.

#16 Posted: 24/4/2011 - 21:13

• jultrip

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2011
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

Great info! Going there in summer. Any recommendations of weather would be nice!
    I guess bringing lots of sunblock and mosquito repellent.
    Thank you

#17 Posted: 20/6/2011 - 12:12

• Magen

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2011

One of the best things to do when you are in Singapore, is to step into the hidden treasures around Little India and Geylang. While many thinks that these places are dirty, I find that it is the true side of Singapore where the local singapore people are happily eating in an open space by the road junction. Also will see the different races of people living together happy. I took the MRT train to angmokio and truly experienced how it is like to be living here, and how people run off the train after work. Other than walking around, the best thing is to try everything you can find in the food selling areas they call hawker centres. The website hungrygowhere also helped me with finding nice local food. As for my staying place, I stayed here in a homestay at siglap i found on a website wimdu.com, stayed with two old singaporean people and they make very nice breakfast every morning for me. I am going to phillipines tomorrow, so will check out the other postings on this nice website.

#18 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 16:44

• LinM

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2012

Hi!

Nice info about Singapore
    My bf and I are going to Singapore from the 26 of July to the 16 of August, now we are going to be base there but not staying there the whole time.

We are no to sure werent to go, we want to go to ,koh Samui, koh Tao and or phi phi as well as maybe cambodia (Angkor ) ,or Vietnam or Laos, however for what I read that's the rainy season in most of those places.

So can anyone recommend us somewhere to go from Singapore. Is it better to go to Indonesia or malasya ...?

Thanks

#19 Posted: 19/4/2012 - 03:02

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

A few more suggestions:

If you like walking: hike the southern ridges
    If you like flowers and plants: visit the botanical gardens
    If you like art/history/culture: visit the Asian Civilisations museum
    If you like food: hit the hawker centres and enjoy!

#20 Posted: 13/5/2012 - 05:11

• William07

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2013

If you are looking to get any advice about your tour then you can also get help from trip advisor.

#21 Posted: 17/8/2013 - 06:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.