Flag of Singapore

Singapore forum

Where to shop Kuala Lumpar or Singapore

• erbi3285

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2008

Hi,
    I'lle be flying out of Singapore early Jan, and Im coming from Koh Phangan, so therefore are travelling via Malaysia. Just wqondering if anyone knows where its cheaper to shop Kuala Lumpar or Singapore, as I've never been to either. I've got 4 days??
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

#1 Posted: 25/11/2008 - 05:48

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

The answer is usually KL.

If you're shopping for branded luxury goods (i.e. Bang & Olufsen audio equipment, LV bags, D&G clothes) then Singapore is a bit cheaper and promotional sales are common.

If you're shopping for electronics, clothes, souvenirs, and all the usual stuff then Kl is much, much cheaper. It's also much cheaper for guesthouses, food, etc.

/singapore resident

#2 Posted: 30/12/2008 - 21:57

• markyeo

Click here to learn more about markyeo
    Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 5

Generally it would be cheaper to shop in Kuala Lumpur but sometimes, their fashion seasons may be a little backdated. But nonetheless, Kuala Lumpur is a decent shopping haven.

If you've a taste for fashionable clothes, Singapore's a great place if you're into fashion and would like the latest. The current post-christmas sale period has set prices lower than before due to the global economic recession.

Orchard Road would be the place to shop for clothes. Shopping malls along Orchard road include: Shaw House, Tangs, Wisma Atria, Takashimaya, Paragon, Centrepoint, Plaza Singapura

In the Cityhall area, accessible by MRT (the subway system), there is a giant mall with office buildings known as Suntec City. Opposite is Marina Square and Millenia Walk.

For electronics, head to Courts or Harvey Norman. These are mainly electronics and furniture chains that are constantly having sales. Do check out Mustafa Centre in Little India too.

Sometimes, you may discover shopping gems in the form of heartland malls. If you want to have a truly authentic Singaporean shopping experience, take the MRT and hop off whenever you spot a heartland shopping mall. Most of the MRT tracks run above ground in the suburbs and the heartland shopping malls are just beside the MRT station. Try starting from the West, at Boon Lay MRT station, where there is a newly expanded mall called Jurong Point.

Head east and stop by Jurong East MRT. About a 15 minute walk away is IMM, a gigantic mall that houses a hypermart and furniture shops. It was also recently renovated to include clothes, fashion, electronics stores.

In the east of Singapore, popular heartland malls include Tampines Mall and Century Square.

Keep following the MRT system, getting off wherever you see a shopping mall that seems interesting. You'll be rewarded with a better shopping experience.

#3 Posted: 5/1/2009 - 17:21

• ShawnAlvin

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2010

Here i am disclosing some of the name of best shopping center in Kuala Lumpar ::-

1. Mid Valley Megamall
    2. Suria KLCC
    3. Berjaya Times Square
    4. Bukit Bintang Plaza and Sungai Wang Plaza
    5. Lot 10 and Starhill
    6. Pavilion
    7. Sunway Pyramid

#4 Posted: 1/7/2010 - 19:07

• ShawnAlvin

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2010

Majorca is a favorite holiday destination with its guaranteed sun, sandy beaches and lively night life.there are other places too where we can spend holidays like Costa Brava, Costa Blanca, Costa Maresme, Ibiza and Mallorca (Majorca),these places are known for their long white sand beaches,villa's life.

villa costa blanca | villas in ibiza | villas majorca

#5 Posted: 1/7/2010 - 19:11

• jpundek

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2010

Singapore has the best selection and range of shops. If you have money to spend (Notably on designer goods) I recommend Singapore. You only need to walk down Orchard Road (25 Shopping centres) and there you have it.

For cheaper goods, decent copies as well, then KL.

#6 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 03:03

• husun

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010
    Location Japan

If your wallet is full of notes, then I suggest Singapore. Things can be very expensive but the quality is often satisfactory. Besides that, Singapore is a very safe country to visit. You need not worry about safety, rip off and the place is very clean. as my experience doing a shopping and food discovery in Kuala Lumpur, the result is a little turn off. I don't find myself safe when I'm in Kuala Lumpur and sad to say, I was robbed in a Shopping Complex even I'm with my cousin ( a malaysian).

Talking about shopping in the Far East, I still find Bangkok the best. IMHO!

#7 Posted: 29/10/2010 - 15:37

• paulsimons87

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2011

Shopping in Singapore and Kuala Lumpar depends upon the needs of the guy...But if a budget traveler wants to shop then i will suggest him/her to shop in Kuala Lumpa,as compare to Singapore...This is because Singapore is bit costlier when compares to Kuala Lumpar...Also one can get cheaper clothes and other products in Kuala Lumpar....

Paul Simons.

To know about villa click on:- villas spain and villa ibiza

#8 Posted: 22/4/2011 - 11:41

• eugeneceh

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2011

I have been and lived in both for a long while.

Electronics in KL is more expensive due to the electronics tax imposed by the Malaysian government. Branded stuff in Malaysia are priced comparably to Singapore. If you are talking about food or lodging, it's definitely a lot cheaper in Malaysia.

Singapore is definitely the safest country in Southeast Asia but also expensive to live in...

#9 Posted: 29/5/2011 - 23:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Krabi to Kuala Lumpar. ... By Wozza87 on 23 Sep 2014 4 375 26 Sep 2014
From kuala Lumpar to thailand by Train ... By monaghan_prints on 2 Nov 2011 2 1504 18 Dec 2011
place to shop in Singapore ... By almira on 27 Jun 2010 17 11627 15 Jan 2013
Solo Traveler to singapore (Female) Eat, sleep, see, shop info. ... By antarathokchom on 3 Jun 2014 0 545 3 Jun 2014
Singapore or Kuala Lumpur ... By konnan101 on 29 Apr 2011 3 5129 17 Jan 2012
Singapore to Kuala Lumpur ... By nish on 24 Nov 2011 25 5752 23 Feb 2014
A week’s itinerary from Kuala Lumpa to Singapore ... By Beanic on 11 Aug 2009 2 4606 12 Aug 2009