Flag of Singapore

Singapore forum

Do I have to fly from Singapore to KL

• looman

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

Hi. I'm flying into S'pore from London. My plan is to travel through Malaysia into Thailand, either by bus or train.

However I've been advised that my airline may not board me in London if I don't have proof of onward travel from S'pore and this would have to be in the form of a flight rather than train or bus ticket.

I really don't want to have to book an unecessary flight

Any ideas

#1 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 21:48

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Yes, technically that is the rule. It's not always applied though and it really depends on who you get at the airport when you're checking in! (I had that problem last year flying to Singapore -- had to buy a refundable flight on the spot so they'd let me board, refunded it later).

Do you have a flight back to the UK? That should be enough. They just want proof that you're eventually going to leave or go somewhere else.

#2 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 22:50

• looman

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

Thanks idreamofdurian.

I have a RTW ticket with ongoing flights through S E Asia into Oz, S America and back to UK so I guessed that would suffice. Just a bit anxious as my travel agent said BA were particularly anal on this issue, and I didn't want to incur further costs

Can you advise on bus and trains to KL? Is it best to buy tickets online before arriving in Singapore as I've heard its more expensive buying there?

#3 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 16:24

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Your RTW ticket should be good enough. It's usually with one-ways that you get a hassle. As I pointed out to the Air Canada lady who wouldn't let me board my flight to SG without an onward ticket last year (my residency visa was waiting for me in SG on arrival, hence the 1-way flight): "What do you mean I need a flight out of Singapore? You can *walk* to Malaysia. I've done it". If you're super paranoid, maybe doctor up a print-out web itinerary from a budget airline just in case they insist on seeing something?

Train tickets can be booked online through the Malaysian railway website. The price is more than double if you book a ticket originating in Singapore, so the best deal is to book 2 separate tickets for the 1 trip: Sing -- Johor Bahru, then Johor -- KL.

Bus tickets to KL you can buy online (the most expensive), at the Queen St. bus station (expensive), or you can cross into Johor and buy your ticket at the Larkin bus terminal (least expensive). Getting here to the bus station in JB involves a lot of transfers (bus to SG check point, bus across bridge, off at Malaysian immigration, bus to bus station) but it's not busy if you go on a weekday and it saves you about S$20.

#4 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 16:36

• looman

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

That's great advice and answered my questions. Many thanks

#5 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 19:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.