Flag of Singapore

Singapore forum

What to do in a day and a half?

• newhorizons1

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2010

Hi All,

I'm new to all of this but you seem a helpful bunch and I'm hoping you can give me inspiration?

In March 2010 I will be stopping in Singapore with my best friend. We have a day and a half and want to make the most of our visit.
    Can anyone advise of any NOT TO MISS activities.

Many thanks in anticipation.

#1 Posted: 3/1/2010 - 04:29

• Advertisement

• craash

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2010

The Bird Park, The statues on the river, China town market, India Town, go for a swim in one of Singapores many public swimming pools.

#2 Posted: 5/1/2010 - 16:56

• craash

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2010

Singapore is pretty tame, but there's still some cool things to see and do:

The Singapore Zoo and Night Safari: great open-air exhibits and lots of indigenous South-East Asian animals - Malay sun bears, proboscis monkeys, orang utans, etc.

Sentosa: man-made island full of family-friendly attractions and mediocre beaches. The Underwater world aquarium is pretty good.

Little India: One of Singapore's more vibrant and bustling areas - eat a dosa masala with your hands, buy some cheap Bollywood VCDs, and get your fortune told by a parrot! Avoid this area on Sundays as it gets REALLY REALLY crowded. The Mustapha Shopping centre is also in this area - it sells absolutely everything and is open 24 hours.

Orchard Road - If you love to shop, this is the place to go. The road is lined with giant shopping mall after giant shopping mall filled with designer clothes. It's quite the sight to behold, but not a good spot for bargain hunters.

Bugis street market - lively street market area with cheap t-shirts, the cheapest souvenirs in the city, fruit vendors and food stalls.

Lau Pa Sat - Singapore is well known for its food centres and this is one of the best. It's in a good location right downtown, too.

Esplanade Park - right downtown near the waterfront checking out the park and walking around downtown is one of the best free things that Singapore has to offer. There's a Merlion statue here (the half-lion half-fish "icon" of Singapore), the Esplanade theatres, shopping malls, coffee shops, etc. You can catch a boat tour from here, too. The Asian Civilizations museum is near here, too.

Clarke Quay - trendy area of restaurants and bars near the waterfront. Prices are a bit inflated, but the atmosphere is great - try to show up around 5ish for happy hour drink prices (2 for 1).

China Town - a very photogenic part of town and good spot to sample street food like "char kway teow" noodles and steamed buns. You can get rickshaw tours around this area.

#3 Posted: 5/1/2010 - 17:00

• wombatfuz

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

craash (in the post above)has some good suggestions.
    Considering you only have 1 and a half day, you need to plan well.

The Singapore Zoo and Night Safari have great Southeast Asia animals but it takes a whole day to do it properly. If you start early and just do the Day Zoo, then you can finish by noon or slightly after.

Sentosa Island is very man-made and the beach are nothing compared to those in neighbouring countries. But the underwater World is an interesting place.

If you rather see the ethnic side of Singapore, suggest you stick to Little India for some great Indian Food and check out Mustafa which is open 24 hrs (so you can shop at midnight and stretch ur time in Singapore a bit).

Chinatown has a great hawker centre with good and cheap food. Don't try the rickshaw, i personally find them a bit too garish and in poor taste.

Arab Street (near Bugis) has a lot of textile shops, some carpets shops and great ethnic food. The street is quiet on weekdays afternoon.
    The side streets near Arab street also have lots of interesting small shops that sells nice clothes, accessories, small household items and lots of other stuff.

#4 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 16:16

• keithsutter

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2010
    Location United States

Posted from within Vietnam.

I would suggest two additional night time activities that are not only free but great ways to experience Singapore. First is the Newton Hawker stand near the Newton MRT stop. This is a great place to try all of the traditional Singapore dishes in a great outdoor atmosphere. Second is taking a walk through the Botanical Gardens at dusk. The temperatures are cooler, the crowds are less, and attractions are lit in creative ways.

Check out my Singapore post to see pictures and get more details; www.greenaroundtheglobe.com/2010/01/30/food-and-friends-in-singapore

#5 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 20:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.