Taiwan forum

Request for Ideas and Information for 10 days in Taiwan

• gohlayhuah

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2010

I recently purchased a flight ticket to Taipei for 9 nights in June 2013. I am South-East Asian Chinese, female, age 55, travelling alone, on shoestring budget, independent and mindful of the perils of solo travel. I have no idea where to go, and what to do (except the night market). But I know what I want. Apart from Taipel, I want the hills and countryside of Taiwan and embrace its beauty and serenity. I want to linger and learn and understand the people and their culture. Can anybody recommend such places and activities that would best depict the essence of Taiwan? I do not want to join a tour group and rush from one place to another, all over Taiwan. I would be contented with just a couple of worthwhile destinations. I plan to take public transport. Recommendations of budget accommodations in suggested places also very much welcomed. Thanks very much.

#1 Posted: 10/4/2013 - 03:12

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Well, Taroko Gorge near Hualien is very pretty but not as easy to reach with public transit . . . as the road just goes through the gorge and most either rent vehicles or take a tour bus in from Hualien. Another option would be to go town to Taichung and then take public transit into the foothills out towards Sun Moon Lake. If you want more of the pre-Han experience of the island you'll want to head to the south, but I haven't personally been there. As far as accommodation, if you are on a budget you'll find that Taipei is not cheap. Most people trying to budget travel Taiwan will try coachsurfing. The fast rail network connects most of the country down the east coast, so public transport between cities won't be a problem - and there is ample interurban rail and bus networking.

#2 Posted: 10/4/2013 - 08:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.