Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Hellfire Pass or train journey to Nam Tok?

Posted by DaviPigg on 17/3/2010 at 06:47

Hello
Can you help? We are going to Kanchanaburi for 2 nights. I want to see the Erawan Falls, a few museums in Kanchanaburi, Hellfire Pass plus take what I have been told is a dramatic train journey up to Nam Tok. Problem is, not enough time. What would you recommend the train journey or Hellfire pass?
Could I take a tour that takes in all of these in my limited time?

#1 DaviPigg has been a member since 28/2/2010. Posts: 5

Posted by swag on 17/3/2010 at 07:41

Hi we had 3 nights there and really enjoyed it.The museums in Kanchanburi won't take up much of your time. I arragned a day trip to Hellfire pass via minivan which took in some falls not Erawan. They dropped of the fresh food at a roadside restaurant for our lunch.Spent the next few hours going through the visitors centre at Hellfire then a long walk along the pass etc.Very sobering place considering the lives lost. Almost 100,000 I think.Headed back to have a great lunch including TubTim a freshwater fish farmed nearby.Then headed to some freshwater pools for a swim and onto the train for the trip back to Kanchanburi. A long day but very memorable.
The war cemetry in the town centre was imho better than the museums an is kept in immaculate condition.Two nights should see you squeeze in most of want you do.
hope that helps.

#2 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 330

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.