Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Railay or Lanta in May with a toddler - where to stay?

• ruth678

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2010

My husband, 16 month old daughter, and I are planning a trip during the first two weeks of May. We are looking for a beach that is toddler-friendly, a place that is around 3000 baht/night or less. We would like to stay in a place where our daughter can sleep separately from us so that we don't have to go to sleep when she does. My husband also wants to do some diving. We'd like to go somewhere that is fairly peaceful but also not too isolated either. Right now we are leaning towards staying in Railay the whole time but are considering a few options:

1) Sunrise Tropical Resort, and staying in one of their villas. If we stayed there, we would put the crib in the bathroom at night, but then this would mean that we couldn't really use it while she is sleeping. Positives are that there is air conditioning and it is cheaper than some of the other midrange options in Railay.
    2) One of the less expensive homes at the Railei Beach Club. Our daughter could be in a separate room from us at night, but none of these houses have air conditioning.
    3) Skipping Railay entirely and go to Lanta and finding a villa that is cheaper and has what we are looking for in a place. Though from what I have read online, because of the weather patterns in May the beaches aren't as nice in Lanta at that time.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. In the beginning of May, is air conditioning and absolute must? Also, is it true that the beaches in Lanta aren't that nice in May? I have read also that in some areas the restaurants, etc. shut down in the low season too.

We are also open to other locations in the Krabi area if they fit our criteria, and are open to suggestions. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 17/3/2010 - 12:07

• Advertisement

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Basicaly in May, the westerly has started blowing into thailand from the west. Therefore the western coast of thailand may have choppier sea and bigger waves. Thus this is the reason the water wont be as nice. It is also a time when rain and thuderstorm do come. But dont let that worry you as thunderstorm in in thailand during this time of year are only short bursts.

With a budget of 3000b per nite, there shouldnt be any worry. You could get high end accomodation with that budget. add to that, its low season in May, and you will have many choice. And with that budget I wouldnt worry about booking earlier too, as walk in or phone calls a day or 2 ealier will be much cheaper. If you insist on booking now,( since you have a toddler) then suggest google for the accomodations.

Try Krabi. Its on the mainland,.. easier. Go to Ao Nang, And you have variety of activities. Your husband may snorkle, there plenty of touts/agents/booth. Its also a good place to do shopping. And a variety of good food.

Lanta on the other hand, has a quieter atmosphere, the higher end resorts are scattered through the island. It has a bit of adventure feelings to it too, lush forest, broken roads, tracks, wooden restaurants on stilts, local residents and cultures. You will get this feeling the moment you step into the frail looking ferries to the island ( you need to take 2 ferries).

Air conditiong? I would say Yes, infact everywhere in sotuh thailand. It adds a lot of comfort.

AA

#2 Posted: 18/3/2010 - 10:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cheap places to stay for single traveller in Railay and Ko Lanta ... By madSEM on 19 Jan 2010 3 4930 20 Jan 2010
Big Chang or Lanta with a toddler ... By madam_butterfly on 4 Jan 2010 5 2429 5 Feb 2010
Thailand in-country travel advice for two weeks with toddler in Bangkok,Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta ... By daphnehk on 16 Feb 2010 4 4083 17 Feb 2010
Koh Lanta vs. Railay ... By mtkushnick on 2 Nov 2010 3 4629 8 Nov 2010
Ko Lanta : Stay recommended at Houben or Crown Lanta? ... By prabs30 on 2 Aug 2012 1 1318 2 Aug 2012
Railay beach - Lanta ... By will_hutchings on 30 Oct 2009 4 4783 5 Nov 2009
Railay or Ko Lanta or Krabi..? ... By boyohboy100 on 17 Nov 2010 0 3191 17 Nov 2010
Yoga in Ko Lanta and Railay ... By jessieo on 28 Jun 2009 2 5467 30 Jun 2009
Ko Lanta/phi phi/railay /Ko Samui accommodation ... By steveo on 16 Oct 2010 2 3092 20 Oct 2010
Krabi, railay, tonsai, koh lanta, koh rok, koh kradan ... By Arigato9 on 27 Jan 2013 2 1709 28 Jan 2013