Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

non touristic thai island?

• asiamood

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2010

Hello,

I have been reading regarding Thai Islands, and still can't decide where to head on....The thing is, I will be travelling for 2 months, and the last 12 days of my trip I want to spend it in an island with only few tourists if possible...I really hate crowd beaches...I am not really into partying, just would like to relax, swimming, do some trekking and walks...I will be there at the end of May.

Any recommendations will be very appreciate as I cant decided where to go!!!!

#1 Posted: 19/3/2010 - 05:11

• Advertisement

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi asiamood,
    The thing is, almost all thai island are touristic :d

But somewhow you may avoid from such crowded places by staying on the far side of the island. I suggest you try Koh Lanta.

Koh Lanta is not so well developed. There are some fishing villages. There is only 1 asphalt road that encicles the island, and apart form this you may find some dirt tracks that links to certain villages. If quietness you are looking for, try the bungalow near the beach on the far south western side of the island. Look for "Same Same, But different" You will love this place.

AA

#2 Posted: 19/3/2010 - 09:57

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

almost all thai island are touristic
    I'd change that to almost all thai islands which are easily accessible and have any form of accommodation are touristic
    There are hundreds and hundreds of Thai islands with no tourists but they're hard to reach and there's nowhere to "stay".

With that out of the way, I agree about the lower part of Ko Lanta, especially Khlong Jak or one of the other smaller coves as a good but fairly reachable place to chill. Might also look at Ko Phangan's east coast, somewhere like Haad Sadet, or Haad Kuart on the north side. Also maybe Ko Phayam off the Ranong coast. There will be other travellers staying at these places of course but definitely more on the chill side than the top spots which draw 90% of mainstream tourists.

#3 Posted: 19/3/2010 - 11:32

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I liked the Eastern Islands -- probably as touristy as anywhere else with plenty of accomodations and transportation but I found many of the beaches were fairly empty - Ko Chang , Ko Maak , Ko Wai and Ko Kut. Ko Wai is a very small island and the beaches aren't that big, but very relaxed. Ko Maak has rockier beaches but long - plenty of space to be by yourself if you move away from the bungalow operations. On Ko Chang - if you go to the Southeast there is Long Beach with Zion (very isolated) and Treehouse (a little more built up but with a Swiss Family Robinson Feel). Zion was right on the beach in a very pretty spot - both operations shut off electricity at 10/11 so the little bay feels very isolated. (listed under Salakphet Bay in Ko Chang section of the Thailand Islands).

#4 Posted: 19/3/2010 - 11:48

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

ah - meant to say that I have not been to Ko Kut, we didn't have time, but I hear it is fairly unspoiled and quite large.

#5 Posted: 19/3/2010 - 11:48

• asiamood

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2010

Thanks very much to everyone for your replies! I will have look at Koh lanta, and ko chang........

asiamood

#6 Posted: 20/3/2010 - 03:38

• asiamood

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2010

I need additional advice please...
    I will be doing the Sapa trek in the middle of May, and from Hanoi will be flying to Thailand. My idea was going to Chiang Mai and doing some trekking there, but I was thinking if it is worth it doing it as I will be coming from Sapa...I will have 15 days in Thailand so my plan was to spend sometime in Chiang Mai and then head to one of the islands, ko lanta or ko chang. But, do you think is it probably better to leave Chiang Mai and head to another part of Thailand? Or is it very different the trekking in Sapa/Chiang mai?

Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

asiamood

#7 Posted: 22/3/2010 - 19:51

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Probably a bit repetetive trekking in Sapa and then again in Chiang Mai . However there's a lot more to do in Chiang Mai than trekking. Elephant camps, Tiger Kingdom, mountain biking, white water rafting and kayaking, Ziplining in the forest, excellent Sunday market in the old city, etc. Rent a scooter or a jeep and explore the hills or go up to Chiang Dao or Pai, Mae Hong Son. Loads to see and do up north which you probably won't find in Sapa or elsewhere in Thailand.

#8 Posted: 22/3/2010 - 20:33

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I've never heard people compare the two - those who have been to Chiang Mai often return. It is a delightful place and it would be a shame to miss it. Depending on how much time you want to tramp around the islands though. If you went to Ko Chang you could also visit the mainland town of Trat - a night or two there and then hopping around the islands could fill two weeks - very relaxed. However, with 15 days you could give yourself a visit to Chiang Mai without the trekking - that way it'd just shave 3/4 days off the islands - but it'd also give you a long round-trip bus ride.

#9 Posted: 23/3/2010 - 13:21

• Julien29

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2011

Hello Asiamood,

We are curently in Thailand, my girlfriend and I, and we just spent 5 incredible days in the Island Koh Chang (near Ranong). There was not many turists and we really found peace because of a 100% natural area and really fine local people.
    We did videos of the island and of our accomodation, you will be able to check it on our blog:
    http://www.travel-on-your-own.com/2011/11/from-bankrut-to-koh-chang.html

Best regards,
    Agnieszka and Julien.

#10 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 05:43

• Advertisement

• noca2020

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2012

I'm currently doing the same research (i.e. non touristy islands) and koh tarutao looks like a winner. However, seems impossible to pre-book park accommodation due to the payment requirement. As we are going in December, I fear arriving there without prior arrangements. Would anyone have recommendations on how to make this payment from abroad? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#11 Posted: 7/11/2012 - 01:54

• RickWarren

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2012

Hello Friends,

Thailand’s islands are some of the most visited places on planet tourism, but you can still go wrong. Time Out’s resident Thailand addict Derek Adams gives us his informed guide to what to see, where to stay and what to avoid. Too many islands, too little time! Thailand has more than its fair share of islands, and for the first time visitor, picking the right Thai island can be a pretty daunting undertaking.

Best Regards
    Rick Warren

#12 Posted: 7/11/2012 - 22:58

• RiniRabbit

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2012

There are two island that less crowded in Krabi Koh Lanta and Koh Rok.
    If you want to stay in big island Lanta is Suit you.
    If you like nice beach love to do snorkeling Koh Rok is suit you :)
    Enjoy!

#13 Posted: 8/11/2012 - 21:16

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

I stayed on Tarutao about four years ago. I don't think you will have any problem re accomodation unless your trip overlaps with the Thai new year holiday. Mine did at that time but there was still enough room and several new and completely empty bungalows at two sites a few kilometres away from the main site.

TBH, I wasn't that impressed with Tarutao. The beaches are OK but not spectacular and there was an awful lot of rubbish the further away from the park headquaters you walked. In that area, I much preferred Ko Adang. Also, the food was OK on Adang but pretty rotten on Tarutao. Having said that, Tarutao was the last stop after a month of island hopping so I guess I'd been spoilt by then!

#14 Posted: 11/11/2012 - 08:29

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I've been to most of the places mentioned so far and I find that Big Koh Chang is probably the most touristy of the bunch.

#15 Posted: 11/11/2012 - 16:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.