Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Urgent - Night bus/train to Chumphon - do I need to book ahead?

• meltravelst-
    heworld

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2010

Hi There,

Searched through the posts but didnt see an answer to this question... Im heading to Bangkok tomorrow. I arrive around 3pm. I am trying to make my way to Ko Tao and debating:

a) going to Hua Hin for the night since it is only 3 hours from Bangkok and breaks up the trip (but it also means that I wont catch the 7am ferry the next day. It will be the 1pm ferry)
    b) taking a night bus or train directly to Chumphon . Since Im currently in Cambodia, I cant book a ticket. If I take the train, Id like a sleeper (but Im assuming that they will be all sold out 6 hours before departure). What about the buses? Is it possible to get a sleeper bus from Bangkok to Chumphon at the Bangkok bus terminal 6 hours before departure or will they likely be sold out too?

Thanks for your help!
    Melissa

#1 Posted: 22/3/2010 - 18:27

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Have a look at http://www.lomprayah.com
    Their office is on Rambutri Road, parallel to Khao San Road (backpacker ghetto). See map on http://www.lomprayah.com/E/images/map/map-kaosarn.gif. They have a 9pm bus to Chumphon with connecting ferry to Ko Tao in the morning.

Otherwise, go to the train station and jump on the 10:50pm "Sprinter" (reclining seats, not sleeper). There are always seats available on this one, 480 baht, and it gets to Chumphon at 5:47am in time to catch the morning ferries. Walk out of the Chumphon train station and within a few blocks are ferry ticket offices and guesthouses with your breakfast and more travel info. Happy Travels.

#2 Posted: 22/3/2010 - 20:09

• JRPBackpaker

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2011

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, going from Cambodian (Siem Reap) to Bangkok, and on the same day catch a night train/bus to Chumphon. Then from there to Ko Tao by ferry.
    meltravelstheworld how did you did it? did you manage to buy the train ticket? is it really sold out 6 hours before departure?
    Thanks

#3 Posted: 14/3/2011 - 01:08

• meltravelst-
    heworld

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2010

Hi there, I ended up stating in hua hin for the night and took the 1pm ferry - very easy and straightforward for me. I'm sorry I can't help u with the train tickets - do u have any friends in Bangkok who could but them for you? Good luck and safe travels!

#4 Posted: 14/3/2011 - 05:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Book ahead on Koh Tao for Feb? ... By JessandScott on 16 Jan 2011 7 2572 20 Jan 2011
book ahead? ... By upstateNYlauren on 29 Nov 2012 1 1566 29 Nov 2012
chumphon train to bangkok ... By jasonkim8486 on 6 Nov 2009 2 7601 6 Nov 2009
Chumphon hotel and train ... By LeonardCohen1 on 20 May 2013 4 1414 21 May 2013
Train from Chumphon to Kanchanaburi ... By karyn on 5 Jul 2006 8 9459 2 May 2010
Train fr Thailand to Malaysia.. Chumphon to Butterworth ... By CRASHT1224 on 3 May 2010 2 4562 3 May 2010