Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Urgent - Night bus/train to Chumphon - do I need to book ahead?

Posted by meltravelstheworld on 22/3/2010 at 18:27

Hi There,

Searched through the posts but didnt see an answer to this question... Im heading to Bangkok tomorrow. I arrive around 3pm. I am trying to make my way to Ko Tao and debating:

a) going to Hua Hin for the night since it is only 3 hours from Bangkok and breaks up the trip (but it also means that I wont catch the 7am ferry the next day. It will be the 1pm ferry)
b) taking a night bus or train directly to Chumphon . Since Im currently in Cambodia, I cant book a ticket. If I take the train, Id like a sleeper (but Im assuming that they will be all sold out 6 hours before departure). What about the buses? Is it possible to get a sleeper bus from Bangkok to Chumphon at the Bangkok bus terminal 6 hours before departure or will they likely be sold out too?

Thanks for your help!
Melissa

#1 meltravelstheworld has been a member since 10/1/2010. Posts: 5

Posted by Captain_Bob on 22/3/2010 at 20:09

Have a look at http://www.lomprayah.com
Their office is on Rambutri Road, parallel to Khao San Road (backpacker ghetto). See map on http://www.lomprayah.com/E/images/map/map-kaosarn.gif. They have a 9pm bus to Chumphon with connecting ferry to Ko Tao in the morning.

Otherwise, go to the train station and jump on the 10:50pm "Sprinter" (reclining seats, not sleeper). There are always seats available on this one, 480 baht, and it gets to Chumphon at 5:47am in time to catch the morning ferries. Walk out of the Chumphon train station and within a few blocks are ferry ticket offices and guesthouses with your breakfast and more travel info. Happy Travels.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,819

Posted by JRPBackpaker on 14/3/2011 at 01:08

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, going from Cambodian (Siem Reap) to Bangkok, and on the same day catch a night train/bus to Chumphon. Then from there to Ko Tao by ferry.
meltravelstheworld how did you did it? did you manage to buy the train ticket? is it really sold out 6 hours before departure?
Thanks

#3 JRPBackpaker has been a member since 14/3/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by meltravelstheworld on 14/3/2011 at 05:34

Hi there, I ended up stating in hua hin for the night and took the 1pm ferry - very easy and straightforward for me. I'm sorry I can't help u with the train tickets - do u have any friends in Bangkok who could but them for you? Good luck and safe travels!

#4 meltravelstheworld has been a member since 10/1/2010. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.