Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Phangan warning

• 45baht

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

I was at the july 2009 full moon party, i was intending on staying at a guest house on on of the beaches further away from haad rin as i'd heard that there are loads of cases of theft across that area, especially around the the full moon.
    I ended up staying on the had yao beach in the north west of the island, at Had Yao overbay resort. it was a good resort, cheap (ish) and the rooms were a lot nicer than i was used to elswhere.
    The day after the full moon we went for a meal on the beach for a couple of hours and came back to the room, my bag had been stolen which had my passport, flight tickets, travellers cheques, first aid kit, real money etc in it.
    And my friends passport had been stolen. my other friend was lucky enough to have had his with him as he was changing travellers cheques.
    just a warning, probably obvious, but it does happen across the whole island. It was the ONLY place in a 2 month stint that i have any problems.
    Cant win em all i guess.

#1 Posted: 22/3/2010 - 23:49

• Advertisement

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Sorry for your bad luck. Didn't your hotel/hostel have a security box for valuables? Keep in mind that it could have been a fellow tourist who stole your stuff!

#2 Posted: 28/3/2010 - 09:36

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

I'm concerned with the OP's criteria for the likelihood of theft......did you just leave stuff lying about on the hearsay advice of others?

#3 Posted: 28/3/2010 - 10:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I have to agree with Wilko here. This is a small sample size and the OP did not describe the conditions. I am pretty careful with my money and important items when I am in a hotel or guesthouse. Too much temptation for some people... Were these things just left lying around in the room or in a locked container or well hidden and the room ransacked? Some variables here that are unknown.

#4 Posted: 29/3/2010 - 09:24

• wombatfuz

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

This just goes to show that you should never leave your valuables in the room when you go out, even if it's only for a short while. That's why there's a market for money belts, etc.

#5 Posted: 30/3/2010 - 13:43

• jamesspigne-
    si

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 25

SORRY TO SAY YOU PICKED ONE OF THE WORST PLACES IN THAILAND TO GO. WHAT DID YOU EXPECT.? IT,S A TOURIST AREA WITH TONS OF TOURISTS WHO HAVE SUCKER WRITTEN IN BIG LETTERS ON THEIR FOREHEADS. SADLY LIKE MOST AREAS OVER RUN WITH WHITE TOURISTS WHICH MOST OF THAILAND IS NOWADAYS CRIME AND RIP OFFS ARE ON THE INCREASE. UNLESS YOU CAN SPEAK THAI,I WOULD LOOK ESLEWHERE.

#6 Posted: 8/4/2010 - 04:11

• jamesspigne-
    si

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 25

SORRY TO SAY YOU PICKED ONE OF THE WORST PLACES IN THAILAND TO GO. WHAT DID YOU EXPECT.? IT,S A TOURIST AREA WITH TONS OF TOURISTS WHO HAVE SUCKER WRITTEN IN BIG LETTERS ON THEIR FOREHEADS. SADLY LIKE MOST AREAS OVER RUN WITH WHITE TOURISTS WHICH MOST OF THAILAND IS NOWADAYS CRIME AND RIP OFFS ARE ON THE INCREASE. UNLESS YOU CAN SPEAK THAI,I WOULD LOOK ESLEWHERE.

#7 Posted: 8/4/2010 - 04:11

• 45baht

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Well yeah, i know its the most obvious place to go if you want to get ripped of or robbed. I was in vietnam and some friends rang and asked if i wanted to meet up with them for the full moon, seeing as i had been travelling alone for two months, i though it would be a laugh.

Yeah, i used a money belt for the first two months of travelling, but managed to get a bit lazy near the end. Its my own fault, which i dont need pointed out :) Just a warning for anyone who isnt experienced. And has tendencies to be cut corners.

#8 Posted: 28/4/2010 - 00:23

• JessandScott

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2008

45baht, what a horrible thing to happen! I know we got pretty slack with the whole money belt thing by the end of our trip last year too... will try and be a bit more careful next time! And James, not sure what your motivations for your 'shouting' post were - pretty sure 45baht didn't need to be rubbished, after he/she was just trying to warn other travellers.

#9 Posted: 2/5/2010 - 10:56

• yogakhaolak

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

I lived on Koh Phangan for nearly 3 years and was never robbed. I agree that it could very well have been another tourist. Or perhaps the OP didnt lock the bungalow? Could be a lot of reasons. But James is wrong to shout and insist that Koh Phangan is the most likely place to get ripped off. Could happen to anyone anywhere.

#10 Posted: 2/5/2010 - 11:04

• Advertisement

• 45baht

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

yeah, anythings possible to honest like.
    I agree, you can get robbed anywhere at all. it doesnt matter what country/area you are in. ive probably had more thefts in England than any other country.
    The Embassy seemed to already know my passport had been stolen on the island when we got there to get the new ones.
    **** happens. just dont be lapsidazical!

#11 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 07:41

• 45baht

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Sorry, completely forgot to answer you MADMAC.
    My passport etc was kept in a folder in my small bag nder my matress, while my big bag with clothes and the rest was left on the floor (not valuable)
    We came back and the door was still locked :\ suspect?

#12 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 07:43

• katieapple

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2010

Hey there, sorry to hear about all this trouble! Just thought I'd add: Some friends of mine went to the Full Moon party at some point last year, and also got cabins on the other side of the island. They were given keys each, and one of the girls was confused about the number of her bungalow, tried her key in what she thought was her room, only to realise she'd opened the door on a sleeping man! So the key to her room also worked in other people's, meaning anyone could've accessed any of their stuff. Perhaps this was also the case with you?!

#13 Posted: 12/5/2010 - 02:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
is there any tsunami warning towards koh samui/phangan in mid march ... By alee on 13 Mar 2011 1 3808 13 Mar 2011