Thailand forum

Travelling Buffoon Requires Visa Advice

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Hi,

So I'm pretty experienced with world travel, particularly when it comes to country hopping.

I want to spend about 6 months travelling around SE Asia, and would be happy to do a month or so in Thailand and just chill out on the beach and plan each next step as I go.

HOWEVER I notice you need to prove at the airport you have a ticket out of Thailand before they let you board the flight there.

So am I right in saying that if I haven't already planned out my next country/booked a ticket to it, I can't get to Thailand??

It seems to me a lot of people just rock up to Bangkok and worry about the specifics later - how can you do that if every country wants to see you have a ticket out of there before they let you in?

#1 Posted: 25/3/2010 - 11:58

• Advertisement

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

***OOPS - I mean INexperienced with world travel***

If anyone knows how to edit posts, I could use a tip for that too.

#2 Posted: 25/3/2010 - 12:02

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Many people continue to "rock up" and plan as they go with no onward tickets or other proof of travel. But technically if you fly into Thailand without a visa the airline is required to see proof of onward or return flight within 30 days. This regulation is sometimes not enforced but increasingly is enforced especially flights departing countries like Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, UK. Probably the easiest solution is to get a Thai tourist visa before commencing your trip. Problem solved. Other trick is to buy a cheap e-ticket out of Thailand within the 30 days, such as on AirAsia.com. Flight to Phnom Penh for example which you might actually use. Bring proof of this flight to satisfy the requirement.

Once you're on the flight bound for Thailand you're worries are over. On arrival in Thailand they never check and same for travel between SE Asian countries - you can plan as you go (Vietnam or Myanmar require pre-obtained visas you can get in Bangkok but Laos and Cambo you just get visa on arrival).

Clear enough?

#3 Posted: 25/3/2010 - 12:18

• RachelW

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2009

I think I am buffoon too. I didn't think about this.. I'll be flying into Bangkok from London for 1 day then going to Cambodia the next day and was planning on the free 30 day visa.

Would getting a e visa for Cambodia be ok?. Don't really want to pay for a Thai visa or another flight...

#4 Posted: 25/3/2010 - 16:30

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Thanks Captain_Bob.

Yes, very clear. I am flying from Australia, and the last time I went to Phuket they wouldn't let me check in until I proved I had a return ticket, even if it was just by taking a digital photo of a computer screen baring the e-ticket details. A guy could photoshop that if he needed to, I guess.

So if I buy one of those 60 day visas for $45au, I'm good to go there without proof of a return flight? From what I've read, that would mean once I left Thailand I wouldn't be able to return outside those 60 days since I've already flown there once this year (if only for 12 days) thus blowing 30 of the 90 days total you can be there withing a 6 month period.

I was thinking I'd go from Bangkok to Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos since they're all so geographically close by, then duck back to spend some time in Phuket again...

...but I'm sure there's plenty of adventure to be had in Thailand first if I just spend two months checking out all it has to offer before heading across the borders.

Dig the He-man icon. By the power of Grayskull, I compel thee to answer my queries.

#5 Posted: 25/3/2010 - 17:19

• RachelW

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2009

Cranky.. don't go using the He-man to get your questions answered first..... ;)

#6 Posted: 25/3/2010 - 17:22

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Rach, you can invoke the gal power of Sheira to have your questions answered. No need to tread on He-man's mighty toes.

#7 Posted: 25/3/2010 - 17:57

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Hey so just called the embasy and they confirmed you DO NOT need to show proof of an onward or return flight outta Thailand if you have the 60 day Visa.

Also, the old rule about only being able to go to Thailand for 3 months in any 6 month period was apparently rescinded last year, which was (good) news to me.

#8 Posted: 26/3/2010 - 09:15

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

RachelW An e-visa to Cambodia won't appease the Grayskull Gods upon airport check-in. If/when they enforce the onward ticket policy it's a flight out within 30 days they need to see (or a visa).

Cranky, as you've discovered, a proper Thai visa nullifies the onward ticket requirement. Also the 90 days max per six months on visa exemption rule was thrown out when Skeletor deemed land entries good for only 15 days early last year.

#9 Posted: 26/3/2010 - 12:38

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Curse that Skeletor. Someone oughta take a broadsword to his bony backside.

Cheers Cap'n Bob.

#10 Posted: 28/3/2010 - 09:56

• Advertisement

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Err, I got delayed to the tune of 4 months. All of the above is still true right?

No onward ticket proof required if leaving an Aussie airport with a 60 day visa, yeah?

#11 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 08:38

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Also, I notice on the visa app that you need to list the date of departure and the flight number. I want to make sure I get the visa first before I book flights - do people just make up some bogus flight dates if they're not sure exactly when they're leaving/returning?

Also, you have to put down the details of a 'guarantor' in Thailand. What would you put if you didn't know anyone there?

Do they ever check this stuff?

#12 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 09:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.