Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Accommodation on Koh Tao - getting the balance right

• saxomophone

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2009

Hi

I'll be on Koh Tao for 5-7 days in April this year.

We will have spent 3-4 days on Koh Samui in a flashy 5 star resort for a wedding before we head to Koh Tao. Consequently, I would like to stay somewhere more up my alley - a clean, simple beach shack/bungalow type place.

So my priorities are:

- beautiful location
    - clean bungalow accommodation, with own bathroom, fan (a/c optional)
    - secluded but not too difficult to get to Mae Haad/Sairee

My primary concern is just being in a truly beautiful spot. I don't have a specific price range, but I would expect the sort of place I am imagining to be less than $US50 per night for the room. Something in the flashpacker category or lower mid range.

I've looked at Sai Thong which I am pretty keen on at this stage. I can handle a 30 minute walkt to the main action as a trade off for the beautiful location,

As an alternative, can anyone recommend a quiet, characterful bungalow type operation in the main areas that has some modicum of seclusion despite being close to the action?

Any suggestions would be welcome :)

#1 Posted: 29/3/2010 - 11:33

• Advertisement

• saxomophone

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2009

I'm also liking the look of some of the east coast places, especially View Rock Resort at Hin Wong. How long would it take to walk to the west coast from here? If that's too ambitious, how long is a taxi trip?

#2 Posted: 29/3/2010 - 12:00

• Thijs

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2010
    Location Netherlands
    Total reviews: 18

just posted my review on Queen Resort.

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/thailand/southern_thailand/surat_thani/ao_mae_haad/all/607

It's not a resort, but a nice bungalow between Ao Mae Haad and Haad Sairee. Cheap and a good night sleep. The island is small, so getting anywhere by foot isn't hard.... though allot of people use a scooter there.... sadly.

Have a good time!

#3 Posted: 29/3/2010 - 17:04

• alexrlynn

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 2

Coral View Resort

#4 Posted: 30/3/2010 - 15:16

• saxomophone

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2009

Thanks for the responses.

I chose two places:

The View Rock Resort on the east coast for three nights and Charm Churee Villa for the following three nights.

Feet are getting itchier every day.

#5 Posted: 12/4/2010 - 06:03

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I've always reckoned my next stay at Tao would be Viewpoint in the south-west, but having seen so many positive posts on Coral View, I reckon I might head there off the ferry this June.

#6 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 15:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.