Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Where is Khon Kaen? And updates?

• Thijs

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2010
    Location Netherlands
    Total reviews: 18

We stayed in Khon Kaen a couple of nights, but I can't get any info about this fairly big town in (North)Eastern Thailand...
    There isn't much to do there, but still, I would like to find info on this town on Travelfish.

We've been traveling for 3 months now, and used Travelfish allot for info and reviews.
    But I would like to see some updates from the makers of this website. Allot of info seems to be outdated, especially accommodation info. Also a "latest updated" on the accommodation text would be useful.

Just my 2 Cents... or 2 Bahts ;-)

Thanks Travelfish, for all the help! Kop Khun Khrap :-)

#1 Posted: 29/3/2010 - 16:56

• Advertisement

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Well, you could regard it as a cooperative venture. What do you know about Khon Kaen? Come on, spill it out.

Actually, we had a little chat about KK not so long ago, didn't you see it? Maybe there's some information there for you.

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/9885_accommodation-in-khon-kaen-

You can review accommodation anytime you like and last time I looked there was a 'last updated' notice.

#2 Posted: 29/3/2010 - 17:12

• Thijs

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2010
    Location Netherlands

You are right about the "Last update"... small print, but found it now... my bad :(

here's one:
    "Last visited or updated on: 28th September, 2005"

New updates would be nice...

About Khon Kaen:
    National Museum was hard to find, but worth it... better then f.e. Chiang Mai.
    The town is WARM... no, simply HOT. We had 43 C end February, 40 degrees in our fan room around 23:30.
    Stayed at Saem Samran Hotel for about 250 Baht for a "Double Single Room", actually a 4 person bedroom, 2 small double beds.
    Room was nice, again WARM, personal was nice as well.

We bought ice cubes at a minimart to cool down the room :D

#3 Posted: 29/3/2010 - 17:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Khon Kaen has some good nightlife. I would venture to say that in that department it beats any city in Laos.

#4 Posted: 30/3/2010 - 00:25

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Thijs,

Thanks for the note -- glad you found the site useful.

Regarding Khon Kaen it's a peculiar case -- over the years we've sent two researchers there, both did mediocre jobs and in both cases the research didn't make it onto the site. I'll be the first to acknowledge though that it, (alongwith some other parts of the Northeast) is a notable omission -- something we're working to address this year.

The site is in a continual state of updating, but we have a small team of paid researchers and it is difficult to keep everything as fresh as it should be.

As for a "what's been updated" list, that is something we've thrown around before - will take another look at how we could do it.

Just so you know, the following is either being edited or going onto the site at the moment:
    Thailand: Lampang, Kamphaeng Phet, Sukhothai and Si Satchanalai (thanks exacto!) and Ko Lanta
    Laos: Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, Vientiane, Nong Kiaow, Muang Ngoi, Phongsali, Luang Nam Tha, Udomxai

In research at the moment:
    Vietnam: Hanoi
    Cambodia: Phnom Penh
    Thailand: Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui
    Singapore: Singapore

So we're working at it!

Cheers

#5 Posted: 30/3/2010 - 06:58

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Famous for sausages
    Has some good budget hotels and nightlife

Outside is Unonrat Dam - a huge lake and Phu Phollom or is it Phu Foi Lom - It's a kind of eco park with dinosaurs.
    proper Issan town with proper Issan food.

#6 Posted: 30/3/2010 - 20:21

• Thijs

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2010
    Location Netherlands

Somtam, thanks for your clear reply. Again, my compliments on the good work, y'all helped us out allot during our trip!
    Madmac and khunwilko, thanks for the info. We didn't really taste the nightlife in Khon Kean, but I agree, the food was excellent there.

Take care!

#7 Posted: 30/3/2010 - 21:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bus from Khon Kaen ... By salford6 on 2 Mar 2010 3 1979 3 Mar 2010
Khon Kaen ... By LeonardCohen1 on 25 Jul 2012 8 1593 27 Jul 2012
lao cosulate in khon kaen ... By topogene on 24 Jun 2013 7 1895 25 Jun 2013
Why should I visit Khon Kaen? ... By maesantos on 21 Oct 2013 69 26961 11 Nov 2013
khon kaen flights ... By LeonardCohen1 on 15 Jan 2014 1 497 15 Jan 2014
Accommodation in Khon Kaen? ... By emilygayle on 7 Mar 2010 10 2315 14 Mar 2010
Pullman Hotel in Khon Kaen ... By MADMAC on 13 Apr 2012 3 1734 25 Jun 2013
Living and working at Khon Kaen University ... By Tofu on 13 Mar 2013 3 2348 14 Mar 2013
Khon Kaen-Vientiane-Luang Prabang-Chiang Rai by car ... By sanooknl on 17 Jan 2012 0 1065 17 Jan 2012
Khon Kaen-Vientiane-Luang Prabang-Chiang Rai by car ... By sanooknl on 17 Jan 2012 3 1206 18 Jan 2012