Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Getting from Um Phang to Sangkhlaburi

• itsallaroun-
    dyou

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2006

Hi, Is it possible to go directly from Um Phang to Sangkhlaburi? And if so, how long and how much (approximately) would it take/cost? I'll be in Thailand in December if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 25/10/2006 - 02:03

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi itsallaroundyou,

Welcome to Travelfish!

The simple answer is no. You used to be able to organise to walk from one to the other (it took 6-8 days) but not anymore. There is no road connection between the two.

That said they're both absolutely worth visiting!

#2 Posted: 25/10/2006 - 04:07

• itsallaroun-
    dyou

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2006

Thanks for your prompt reply.......I had a feeling the answer was no :(

So since I can't travel directy, what's the shortest route from Um Phang to Sangkhlaburi (and/or vice versa)?

Is there a website that lets me search Thai bus routes?

thanks again

#3 Posted: 25/10/2006 - 04:53

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The fastest way will be Umphang-Mae Sot-Bangkok-Kanchanaburi-Sangkhlaburi.

The shortest way is to go via Suphanaburi, but you'll need to be lucky with connections and it will take longer than heading back to the Bangkok hub.

There's also a few direct buses a day from Bangkok (morchit-northern bus station) direct to Sangkhlaburi (they do pass through Kanchanaburi though) so if you came in from Mae Sot to Bangkok and we're lucky you could turn around and head straight back out to Sangkhla.

Another option would be to ask around in Mae Sot (or Tak) for minibuses heading straight to Kanchanaburi -- there may be such a route.

#4 Posted: 25/10/2006 - 06:00

• jarunsaksri-

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2011

can do that by car 4wd drive and bike and trekking, real offroad and Adventure. four days trek for local karen people. and 2 days riding by dirtbike.

#5 Posted: 27/2/2011 - 09:14

• GillesFromF-
    rance

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2010

Indeed this is a very old post, but I still find it under Google so I find it could be useful to refresh the answer : the trek route is open again nowadays (entirely on Thai territory, no incursion in Myanmar is needed) and I could do it last week - an excellent experience.

As far as I know, the only guide available for the trip is Jarun Saksri, currently living in Sangkhlaburi - he is a very nice guy and the trekking experience with him (six days) was rewarding. His email adress is jarunsaksri1@gmail.com and his phone number is 0854254434

I suppose this seven year late answer will not be useful to the initial poster, but I hope it can help anybody else. This is a trek worth trying, and a very original way to reach Umphang (or leave it).

#6 Posted: 1/12/2013 - 23:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.