Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand in late July too crowded? is the North better? Advice please!

• Mexicano31

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2010

hello everybody,

I'm near to start a 6 month trip through SEA (yeeah!) and my landing port is Bangkok, I'm arriving the 19th of July and I pretend to stay in Thailand for 30 days (because of the visa limit) and I pretty much don't have any set plans... so I'm just going to go where I feel is cool once I'm there, I think.

I will investigate in guides (travelfish for starters) of cool places, and I'm doing my research altogether..

The thing is that I think I will be arriving in high season, and lots of places will be probably crowded... I don't like that. So would you advice that I go to the north first to let the crowds start dispersing in the south (where I think are the main touristy areas) and then hit it by the 10th of Aug or so? Do you think I will have problems finding guesthouses/hostels around those dates (I prefer not doing reservations)? what recommendations can you make?

I'm interested in seeing nice land and sea landscapes most of all, but also getting inside the forests, visiting national parks with elephants and other wildlife... I wouldn't mind doing some snorkeling but doing some kayaking in the bays would be a priority if possible... and also sea cruises or rides around the limestone islands. I have the impression that the south has more of the things that are appealing to me.

So what do you think?

#1 Posted: 10/4/2010 - 05:13

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well clearly if the ocean is a big part of what interests you, then the south it is. There isn't any ocean in the North or Northeast anyway.

Since I have spent zero time in those regions - I don't like the ocean very much (with a few exceptions like Tiwi beach in Kenya) - I'm not the right guy to ask about that area. But there are guys here who can, and I am sure will, help you out.

#2 Posted: 10/4/2010 - 10:11

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

If planning to spend a fair amount of time in Thailand (more than 30 days wih multiple visits) you should look at getting a proper Thailand tourist visa (allowing 2 or more 60-day entries in some cases) at your nearest Thai consulate before your trip. Or just enter on a free 30-day visa exemption, then get a real visa in Vientiane or Phnom Penh etc. as you tour around SE Asia. Remember, if you re-enter Thailand by land border without a visa you just get 15 days.

July is not peak season down south, compared with busier January/February, but it is a secondary busy time, mainly due to European summer holidays. Here in Chiang Mai mid-June to mid-August is perhaps busier. My small guesthouse, travel agency, cafe is usually doing brisk trade in July. That said, you can show up in most tourist destinantions and find decent rooms on arrival, especially arriving mornings 10-noon timeframe. Anyway most budget guesthouses and bungalows down south don't take advance bookings. Good to do research on your next destinantion so you have an idea, but then wing it.

#3 Posted: 10/4/2010 - 16:18

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

July is low season in most of Thailand except the southern Gulf (Samui, Phangan and Tao) which has a different wet season.
    So unless you lob there, things are going to be very uncrowded. And I reckon the impact of the political stuff may seem them more quiet than usual too.

#4 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 15:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand Island in Late July ... By mrhesed on 8 Apr 2014 2 311 9 Apr 2014
travelling to thailand alone 1 july-22 july looking for advice and travelbuddy/group 19 male ... By badr94 on 14 May 2014 1 464 14 May 2014
27 y/o female heading to Thailand,Laos, Cambodia & Vietnam, mid july-late August ... By izilove on 12 May 2011 8 3397 27 Jul 2011
Arriving late in Thailand! Advice? ... By crystalrsh on 13 Sep 2013 10 1484 16 Sep 2013
North Thailand and Laos Trip Advice ... By 2Bias on 24 Nov 2010 1 1958 25 Nov 2010
Advice on Thailand in July-August ... By mayak on 30 Apr 2008 5 15427 7 Jan 2013