Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

something to consider before visiting the long neck tribes

Posted by sharpie on 10/4/2010 at 13:07

hey guys,
I'm not sure of the sites policy with posting links and wot not although whilst researching my trip i came across this article that made me reconsider our plans to visit a long neck tribe. thought it was worth a read to those who may be interested

http://www.marieclaire.com/world-reports/news/international/kayan-long-neck-thailand

thanks

#1 sharpie has been a member since 28/2/2010. Posts: 36

Posted by Captain_Bob on 10/4/2010 at 16:35

See at the end of the article people's reaction to this is total revulsion and can't believe it still goes on. Unfortunately this sort of voyeristic tourism involving human trafficing will continue until first of all 1) tourists stop requesting and paying for it, or more idealistically 2) Thailand's starts to attract more negative than positive press with longneck tourism specifically mentioned, and the government intervenes. Money and Face are the two most powerful forces here. More than half of Thailands tourists are from neighboring Asian countries though, and trying to convince thousands of Japanese and Malaysian tourists to boycott this activity is another story compared to their more politically consciencious western counterparts. As for one response advising us to write a letter to the King of Thailand... jeez!

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,824

Posted by MADMAC on 10/4/2010 at 18:34

I call it the zoo animal syndrome.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Sampan on 10/4/2010 at 18:35

I have to admit that i didn't know about this. Thanks for posting.

Also glad it made you change you plans..

//

#4 Sampan has been a member since 3/9/2009. Posts: 110

Posted by Tribalfunk on 17/4/2010 at 17:36

Wow, that is downright shameful! It's horrible to read about such things and really unfortunate that it all boils down to money. *sigh* It always does.

#5 Tribalfunk has been a member since 27/3/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 11

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.