Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Another itinerary to check... pleaseee!

• kitsune

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2010

Hello! I'm off next month for two months to SE Asia on my own. I'm planning to visit Vietnam, Camboya, Laos, Thailand, Malasia y Singapur. Could you please check my Thailand itinerary? Thanks!

21 27-may Siem Reap-Bangkok
    22 28-may Bangkok
    23 29-may Bangkok
    24 30-may Bangkok
    25 31-may Bangkok - Kanchanaburi. Visit Kanchanaburi.
    26 01-jun Morning in Kanchanaburi. In the afternoon Kanchanaburi- Ayutthaya
    27 02-jun Visit Ayutthaya. In the evening Ayutthaya - Sukhotai
    28 03-jun Visit Sukhotai. In the evening Sukhotai - Chiang Mai
    29 04-jun Chiang Mai
    30 05-jun Chiang Mai
    31 06-jun Chiang Mai. In the evening Chiang Mai - Chiang Dao
    32 07-jun Chiang Dao
    33 08-jun Chiang Dao. In the evening Chiang Dao - Chiang Rai
    34 09-jun Chiang Rai
    35 10-jun Chiang Rai - Chiang Khong (Huay Xai)

Is it worth staying 2/3 nights in each "Chiang" or is it better to stay 5 days in just one? Are there many differences in the activities / sights? Thank you!

#1 Posted: 11/4/2010 - 19:50

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Personally I would not spend any time in Chiang Rai (the city that is) - very boring. I would spend a couple days in Chiang Mai , then go up to Chiang Dao for 1 or 2 nights.

Chiang Dao (town) itself is not terribly interesting. In my opinion, the reason to go up there is stay out of town in the forested areas, like at Chiang Dao Nest http://nest.chiangdao.com/ and do some self-guided walking or mountain biking. Lovely setting with nice jungly and limestone cliff scenery and chance to be sort of on your own before re-joining the tourist track. Also the "Nest" has amazing food in a tranquil garden setting.

You could also just base yourself in Chiang Mai for the week and do daytrips and/or an overnight trek. If you're ok with riding a small scooter (Honda Click, etc) rent for 200 baht/day and ride up to Mae Sa which has many attractions about 15km north of CM, as well as Huay Tung Tao lake where you can swim and eat and drink in a fairly green natural setting. Or ride up the excellent twisting road to Doi Suthep (local mountain) and visit the famous Suthep temple plus the two Hmong villages, coffee plantation, Phuping Palace, etc. Lots of 1-day getaways out of Chiang Mai. I live here so am biased =)

#2 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 20:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Yet more itinerary help pleaseee ... By andrea13 on 30 Jul 2010 5 1617 6 Aug 2010