Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Update on Bangkok situation

• emma066

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2009

Has anyone got any updates from the last couple of days? Seems to have gone quiet...

Would be good to get perspectives from people who are there right now?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 13/4/2010 - 22:37

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

At present two things seem to have happened to slow things down:

1. Songkran
    2. The Army Chief of Staff has indicated he isn't sending his boys back in there to tangle with the protestors.

#2 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 11:25

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

From Reuters this morning...

BANGKOK, April 14 (Reuters) - Thailand's anti-government protesters said on Wednesday they would all congregate at a single site in a ritzy Bangkok shopping district, preparing for a "final battleground" with the authorities.

The decision came after the death toll from Thailand's bloodiest political violence since 1992 rose by two -- a protester and a soldier -- to 23, according to medical authorities, and as the prospect of further violence looked set to clip growth in Southeast Asia's second-largest economy.

"We will use the Rachaprasong areas as the final battleground to oust the government," protest leader Nattawut Saikua told reporters on Wednesday. "There will be no more negotiations, no more talks."

---------------

For those unfamiliar with Bangkok, Ratchaprasong is the Central World shopping area near the Chitlom BTS stop and the Erawan shrine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_Siam_Ratchaprasong.png

If these planned protests go ahead then hotels and guesthouses in lower Sukhumvit are probably going to be affected, transport-wise at least.

#3 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 14:34

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Sorry, should have made it clear that these protests are planned for after Songkran, not right now!

Here's the link to the Reuters story.

http://www.reuters.com/assets/print?aid=USSGE63D00520100414

#4 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 14:41

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

Just seen in the Bangkok post the a high general in the military Is planning a coup
    WWW.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/174681/pt-gen-p-planning-to-stage-a-coup

#5 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 14:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I don't know if there will be a coup or the Army simply will refuse to engage the protestors. The result will be the same. The government in power now won't be.

#6 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 17:09

• Risha

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

The latest update is that all the red shirts have abandoned Ratchadamnoern Road and met up at Rajprasong.

#7 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 17:50

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry have been a bit MIA on this, just working through some other distractions...

Anyway, this piece in the WallStreetJournal preety much knocks the nail on the head and does a good job of explaining why everything needs to come to a head.

Also, if you're in Australia, I suggest you watch the vid (unfortunately can't be viewed outside Oz) referenced here

I'm going to break my own rules and crosspost this to the other Bangkok thread :)

#8 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 22:26

• Enigma

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2008

For current (English language) info on the situation ("breaking news"), I have found The Nation's website to be a fairly accurate source.

Each day they have a forum that is dedicated only to published news reports and bursts of info coming in from their reporters.

This is the link for The Nations newspaper's Thailand News Clippings.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-News-clippings-f18.html

Within this link you will find various forum topics. I suggest you ignore 99% of them. However, during each day of the crisis, they have posted a daily forum. Normally it will have a title such as

"Bangkok Red Shirts Rally Live Sunday)"

As an example, here is today's link

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bangkok-Red-Shirt-Rally-Live-Sund-t357070.html

If you use this source, I think you will have good, current news updates of what is happening at the moment. I am not necessarily endorsing their news and editorial content but I do find their site to be current and frequently updated. This is a good source for those of us attempting to avoid the hot spots in town.

If anyone has other sources of "breaking news", I would like to know about them.

#9 Posted: 19/4/2010 - 01:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Situation Update: Flooding in Thailand ... By Thaitourism on 22 Nov 2011 0 909 22 Nov 2011