Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help on travelling thailand - malaysia

• elainemc

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2010

Hi,
    I’m going to be travelling around Thailand alone for around 5weeks in august/September. It’s going to my 1st time ever leaving the country (Ireland)! I fly into Kuala lumpur and I’m thinking of flying up to chaing mai and working my way down to Malaysia and travelling through stopping off a few places to get to KL. I haven’t been able to find much information about doing this so anything you can tell me would be useful.
    Would it be a better idea to just fly back as I only have 5 weeks?
    I’m also finding planning my trip difficult with so many places and things to do. Anyone got any advice or tips on how to being planning and narrowing down my choices? I’m hoping to do a bit of everything – temple/ruins, trekking, beaches.
    Thanks for any help.

#1 Posted: 17/4/2010 - 07:42

• Advertisement

• yogakhaolak

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

Doesnt make sense to go from KL to Chang Mai as you cant get to Chang Mai without passing through BKK first.
    I suggest you go from KL to the South of Thailand to a beach (as you stated). Then go North to BKK, then up to Chang Mai. Then after Chang Mai fly from BKK to KL to get your flight back.
    If you want to see temples try Sukkothai. It is North of BKK on the way to Chang Mai. Probably the best place. Also Ayuthaya is another option.
    There is good trekking near Chang Rai/Pai.
    Keep in mind that you will be right in the thick of Monsoon so I would avoid the Andaman coast and got to a beach on the Gulf (East). Monsoon wont hit that side until October.
    Good luck and have fun!

#2 Posted: 17/4/2010 - 10:08

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'm a beach guy - form this point of view if I was travelling back to KL that time of year I'd be hitting the southern Gulf (Samui/Phangan/Tao) and the Perhentians/Redang because they tend to be in dry season whereas the western side of the peninsula is normally in wet season. Not a no-no, but more rain, not as much sunshine.

#3 Posted: 17/4/2010 - 14:39

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

It is possible to fly KL to Chiang Mai - Air Asia do it. I rather like your idea of starting in the north and slowly heading south.

You could spend a bit of time up in the north before heading back towards Bangkok. From there head south and, like Tezza says, visit some of the east coast islands. From there you could always head to Krabi and fly on to KL. Or it may be possible to travel overland, though will leave others to advise as parts of the south east of Thailand is considered off-limits at present.

#4 Posted: 17/4/2010 - 23:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
30/F travelling solo singapore-K.L.,Malaysia, Thailand End Jan-Feb. ... By twink2010 on 29 Dec 2011 9 1501 22 Jan 2012
26/m currently travelling in Bali (and then through Java/Malaysia/Thailand/Vietnam etc) ... By blahman on 7 Mar 2012 5 1042 5 Apr 2012
23/F travelling Sep to Feb China/Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand/Malaysia ... By carolinesarah on 11 Jun 2012 13 1755 20 Nov 2012
Lonely in Paradise!! (currently on Koh Samui travelling Thailand, Malaysia, Oz & South Africa) ... By jenny_wickett on 29 May 2009 5 3896 14 Aug 2009
32 yo m from singapore travelling China-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Myanmar-Thailand-Malaysia ... By charltonsz on 26 Dec 2010 3 2402 26 Dec 2010