Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

From Cambodia to Malaysia, avoiding Bangkok

• verden

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2010

Hello,

My itinerary is Vietnam->Cambodia->Thailand->Malaysia, and I'm traveling next month.
    I've seen Bangkok before, and considering the recent riots going on in Bangkok I really just want to avoid that city at all. However, most people tell me that getting from Cambodia and down to the south of Thailand is impossible without passing through Bangkok??
    I was thinking if I can somehow get from Cambodia to one of the islands (Ko Chang perhaps?) and then, I don't know, is there a boat or something going over to Ko Phangnan/Ko Samui?

I need help, cause my flight home leaves from KL, and I need to somehow get from Cambodia to KL without going through Bangkok ... is the only possible option really only flying?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 18/4/2010 - 19:26

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

It's not impossible. There's lots of bus routes in Thailand, and with a few bus changes in different cities in Thailand, I'm sure you could avoid Bangkok. As just an example, you could probably cross over to Aranyaprathet and then take buses Aran -> (Sa Kaeo) -> Ayutthaya or Lopburi -> Kanchanaburi and then south from there to wherever you're going.

There aren't any ferries crossing over the bay there unfortunately.

#2 Posted: 18/4/2010 - 19:42

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I agree,it's not impossible but it can be very time consumming to avoid Bangkok.
    A better idea would be to follow news reports closely and if the trains are running get the morning train from Aran to Hualamphong station,Bangkok and hop on the first train going south from the same station.You could probably be out of Bangkok within the hour that way.

#3 Posted: 18/4/2010 - 21:26

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

True. As long as things don't get significantly worse than they are now, I wouldn't worry too much about just a quick train or bus change in Bangkok.

#4 Posted: 18/4/2010 - 23:28

• iluvasia

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2010

Air Asia has a once daily direct flight from Siem Reap to KL, and the same for Phnom Penh.

I was in BKK when the airport "riots" were on and never felt threatened, just inconvenienced, but with a little thought and preparedness, you can always manage to get on with your journey.

#5 Posted: 19/4/2010 - 01:32

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Ditto Air Asia Siem Reap to KL can fly for $50 including taxes etc. Simply unbeatable price. Check http://www.airasiaplus.com to see 14 days at a glance. From KL you could go hit the Perhentian Islands on the east coast before flight home. Right season for that area.

#6 Posted: 24/4/2010 - 12:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
help with avoiding bangkok ... By lolofosh0sh0 on 27 May 2010 4 1142 30 May 2010
BBK to Siem Reap, avoiding Bangkok ... By maribsa on 31 May 2010 3 2519 16 Sep 2010
vientiene to cambodia avoiding bkk? ... By bgmidnightwhite on 7 Dec 2006 3 1489 12 Dec 2006