Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

From Cambodia to Malaysia, avoiding Bangkok

Posted by verden on 18/4/2010 at 19:26

Hello,

My itinerary is Vietnam->Cambodia->Thailand->Malaysia, and I'm traveling next month.
I've seen Bangkok before, and considering the recent riots going on in Bangkok I really just want to avoid that city at all. However, most people tell me that getting from Cambodia and down to the south of Thailand is impossible without passing through Bangkok??
I was thinking if I can somehow get from Cambodia to one of the islands (Ko Chang perhaps?) and then, I don't know, is there a boat or something going over to Ko Phangnan/Ko Samui?

I need help, cause my flight home leaves from KL, and I need to somehow get from Cambodia to KL without going through Bangkok ... is the only possible option really only flying?

Thanks

#1 verden has been a member since 18/4/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by Lother on 18/4/2010 at 19:42

It's not impossible. There's lots of bus routes in Thailand, and with a few bus changes in different cities in Thailand, I'm sure you could avoid Bangkok. As just an example, you could probably cross over to Aranyaprathet and then take buses Aran -> (Sa Kaeo) -> Ayutthaya or Lopburi -> Kanchanaburi and then south from there to wherever you're going.

There aren't any ferries crossing over the bay there unfortunately.

#2 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by sayadian on 18/4/2010 at 21:26

I agree,it's not impossible but it can be very time consumming to avoid Bangkok.
A better idea would be to follow news reports closely and if the trains are running get the morning train from Aran to Hualamphong station,Bangkok and hop on the first train going south from the same station.You could probably be out of Bangkok within the hour that way.

#3 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by Lother on 18/4/2010 at 23:28

True. As long as things don't get significantly worse than they are now, I wouldn't worry too much about just a quick train or bus change in Bangkok.

#4 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by iluvasia on 19/4/2010 at 01:32

Air Asia has a once daily direct flight from Siem Reap to KL, and the same for Phnom Penh.

I was in BKK when the airport "riots" were on and never felt threatened, just inconvenienced, but with a little thought and preparedness, you can always manage to get on with your journey.

#5 iluvasia has been a member since 19/4/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 24/4/2010 at 12:47

Ditto Air Asia Siem Reap to KL can fly for $50 including taxes etc. Simply unbeatable price. Check http://www.airasiaplus.com to see 14 days at a glance. From KL you could go hit the Perhentian Islands on the east coast before flight home. Right season for that area.

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,821

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.