Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

What should my budget be for 4 months?

• JessicaBens-
    on3

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

i am going to Southeast Asia for about 4 months. Can i get by on about $500 a month? Im just trying to figure out how much i should budget. I'll be going from Bangkok to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, possibly Indonesia and back to southern Thailand. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 20/4/2010 - 05:06

• Advertisement

• UCSBrown

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009

You can get by on USD$16.66/day but why would you want do? You'll be sleeping in rooms with bugs, a fan (maybe), eating nothing but street food (which ain't terribly bad), no drinking and traveling on 3rd classes buses.

Even if you stay in Hostel Dorms you're looking at $8-10/day.

On the low end I think a budget of about $25-30/day is more reasonable unless you were budgeting Transportation and Entrance Fees separately.

#2 Posted: 20/4/2010 - 08:30

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'd agree - $25 is more realistic if you want at least a few comforts. You could spend less than that in Laos but some of the islands in Southern Thailand are quite pricey and transport to / around Indonesia could add up too.

#3 Posted: 20/4/2010 - 17:50

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'd agree - $25 is more realistic if you want at least a few comforts. You could spend less than that in Laos but some of the islands in Southern Thailand are quite pricey and transport to / around Indonesia could add up too.

#4 Posted: 20/4/2010 - 17:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.