Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

8 days Penang to Bangkok

• hardgraf28

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2010

Hello all

I will be in Penang Malaysia in mid- July with 8-10 days to travel to Bangkok on my own. I was considering island hopping to Langkawi- Koh Lipe etc but the lack of ferries & available accomodation is putting me off. Any other recommended routes?

I will have just come from a week on the Perhentian Islands so may be a little beached out!

Thanks,
    Tom

Any other ideas

#1 Posted: 20/4/2010 - 23:01

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Tom, the southern Gulf tends to have good weather that time of year and is fairly busy.
    One route would be minibus (or big coach) from Penang /Butterworth to Surathani via Had Yai and then ISLAND HOPPING from Ko Samui to ko Phangan to ko Tao then continuing by ferry to Chumpon and then on to Bangkok. Lomprayah can sell you a ticket will get you all the way from Samui to Bangkok using their fast ferry/coaches (one goes overnight to save daylight time wasted on travelling) on a hop on - hop off basis.

I did this Penang-Tao island hopping trip on my very first visit to the area last century - excellent but I do remember it is a hell of a long way from Penang to Surathani.

#2 Posted: 23/4/2010 - 10:31

• hardgraf28

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2010

Thanks Tezza. Great blog by the way.

I'll probably spend 2 days in Georgetown eating Hawker food until I can't stomach any more then head to Surat Thani.

Would you recommend 2 days on each island (Ko Samui, Ko Phangan & Ko Tao )or 3-4 days on Phangnan & Ko Tao missing Samui out?

cheers

#3 Posted: 23/4/2010 - 18:43

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Look, I like Samui and I'm the type of guy has to see everwhere within the region. So I'm always scuttling around at full throttle - not relaxing as much as I should.
    But given the limited amount of time you have, I reckon you would be better confining yourself to Phangan/Tao. They are by far the better budget traveller islands.

#4 Posted: 23/4/2010 - 19:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
8 Days Between Kuala Lampur and Penang ... By jc1257 on 12 Feb 2012 2 1176 14 Feb 2012