Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Upcoming trip - Bangkok & North questions

• roverinexile

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2006

First time poster, but been reading this very helpful site & board for a few months now.

By way of background, I spent 2 months traveling round Thailand back in 1993. Heading back for the first time since then in early January 2007, this time with my wife, who'll be on her first trip to SE Asia. I'm sure lots will have changed, but I'm excited to see everything again.

As I plan our trip, I have a couple of questions, which I hope some kind soul can help me answer. I'm sure there will be more to follow!

1. Bangkok - I've seen glowing reports of the Thai Cozy House. Do the deluxe rooms have windows, or just the "balcony view" rooms?

2. Trekking - We're considering trekking from Pai (I had good experiences years ago). Does anyone have any preference or recent experience? I'm more after the walking part, rather than rafting & elephants.

3. I've seen varying reports of the different routes from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong (& Laos). Is it better to get a direct bus, or go via Chiang Rai? We need to get over the border in the afternoon, not the next morning.

4. How cold is it in the north of Thailand in January? Is it cool enough at night for fan rooms to be comfortable for my "sensitive" wife?

Thanks in advance for your help, and great job with this web-site.

rich

#1 Posted: 28/10/2006 - 07:47

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi rich,

Welcome to Travelfish!

Believe me you'll find Thailand has changed a LOT!

1) That's a good question -- and I don't know the answer -- if you don't get an answer from someone else on the board, I'd suggest dropping them an email and asking.

3) If you need to get over the border same day, you need to leave Chiang Mai fairly early. My understanding is the trip is faster going via Chiang Rai (where you change bus) rather than taking a direct bus, but I've not checked that first-hand. I'd suggest asking after it when in Chiang Mai. Another option is to go by tourist minibus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong apparently a few guesthouses now offer such a service -- assuming the minibus doesn't dawdle along the way, that will be the quickest way.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to get into Laos that afternoon? they'll be little in the way of transport out of Huay Xai that late...

4) I'd sat CM gets pretty cool at night and for most, a fan room would be adequate -- I guess it depends on what you're acclimatised to...

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 28/10/2006 - 09:46

• roverinexile

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2006

Thanks for the help.

We're thinking about taking the Nagi of Mekong from Huay Xai (topic of a future question, I'm sure). It leaves at 8am in the morning, so I think we need to get into Laos the afternoon before.

#3 Posted: 28/10/2006 - 21:52

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Rich,

I might be one of the folks who has been talking up Thai Cozy. We had a deluxe room, and it had a window with a pretty good view of the stupas at the nearby Wat Bawon. Sorry, but we forgot to ask to look at one of the balcony rooms to see if it was worth the extra money or not. Regards.

#4 Posted: 29/10/2006 - 10:49

• roverinexile

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2006

You've certainly had an influence on looking into Thai Cozy!

Now, is anyone able to take a stab at the trekking question & choice between Chiang Mai & Pai?

#5 Posted: 30/10/2006 - 06:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Upcoming trip to Vietnam ... By thepuzzlemaster on 20 May 2011 1 2502 21 May 2011
Planning my upcoming Trip to Vietnam ... By Jnmaxine on 27 Apr 2011 16 3946 16 May 2011
Questions for first trip to Bangkok for 4 days ... By shanladams82 on 1 Mar 2014 19 819 3 Mar 2014
Bangkok/Ko Chang Questions (10 day trip) ... By eslavet on 26 Apr 2007 1 1841 26 Apr 2007
Advice please! An upcoming 42 day trip, Bali, N. Vietnam, Laos, Thailand. ... By W_Sobchak on 23 Sep 2010 1 2637 24 Sep 2010