Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Flying to BKK on 5th May - where to go that isn't Bangkok??

• mattisalive

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2010

Hi, I'm travelling around Thailand, Cambodia, Loas and Vietnam for 4 months, beginning on the 5th of May. I did have 2 nights booked at the Royal Hotel in Bangkok, but given all the recent trouble, I want to avoid Bangkok and hopefully go there at the end of the trip instead. We'll be landing at about 10am at Suvarnabhumi airport and want to go somewhere fairly near to Bangkok to spend a night or two before travelling around the north of Thailand. Does anyone have any recommendations on where would be good to go and how to get there? Somewhere not too remote as I want to have a day or so to acclimatise to the east.

I've considered Kanchanaburi, which seems nice. Is there any way to get there without having to travel into Bangkok first to get a bus/train there?

Please help! Many thanks.

#1 Posted: 25/4/2010 - 19:27

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Matt,

You'd need to go through Bangkok, but, at least at this stage the troubles are not too widespread, so I wouldn't worry about getting a cab across town to get to the bus station.

A different option would be to head east to Ko Samet and hang out on an island for a couple of days.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 26/4/2010 - 13:11

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

BTW, you can take free shuttle bus from main airport building to the transport terminal, than take direct bus N556 to Southern Bus Terminal (Sai Tai Mai). Buses to Kanchanaburi leave from Sai Tai Mai.
    But in any case (cab or bus) you need to cross Bangkok from East to West, so there is possibility to stack in traffic jam.
    Alternatively, you can spend 1day/1night non-far from airport. I'd recommend Thong Tha hotel - maximum 15 minutes from airport by taxi, in fact, 5-8 minutes by bus N551 from transport terminal. This is comfortable and cosy place with shopping, eating etc amenities nearby (include massage).

#3 Posted: 26/4/2010 - 17:45

• shaneforan1

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2010

First Forum Post Ever...

I will be doing the same trip minus a month (arriving on May 5th). Please let me know if you decide on a solution for avoiding BKK at the moment... any more info or ideas will definitely help me make a decision. My friend and I were thinking at this point we would just arrive at the airport, hop into a cab and drive to the safest beach area possible...

-Shane

#4 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 13:13

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

mattisalive how about not even leaving the airport, get a flight to Chiang Mai which is a really user-friendly place (I live here). AirAsia flies five times a day from Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport to Chiang Mai. Get a taxi into town (120 baht) and drop off near the Tha Phae Gate area and you should find a cheap room easily enough. Lots of western travellers and expat folks here, relaxing and accommodating to the newly arrived backpacker.

#5 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 23:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.