Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Safety of longtail boats (on Ko Tao...)

• chaimdan

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2007

Hi,

I'm wondering what you guys think, how safe are the long-tail boats?

The reason I ask is that last time I was in Ko Tao - August '07, I took a private long tail from Sairee Beach (Ko Tao Cabanas) to Nang Yuan... which is really a short trip, but about half way there we got some big waves, and for a while I thought the boat would tip....

I felt very uncomfortable and it was definitely a close call... we were 5 adults and our 1 year old baby (including the driver..)

Is this the way it usually is or was it bad weather?

We are heading back the beginning of July, and would like to travel around the entire Island... one suggestion is a long-tail, if the weather is good, would that be a safe choice? or are we better just taking the large boats?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 26/4/2010 - 18:30

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It sounds like you must have just had a rough ride. The days that I have gone to Koh Nang Yuan have been fairly calm. Seasonal weather and tides will impact things I would imagine.

If you want to circumnavigate the island, I'm sure you can find a longboat with life jackets (I remember seeing jackets on boats in the Andamans - can't remember about Koh Tao).

There are day snorkle trips that go right around the island, and stop at Koh Nang Yuan for a few hours. You have the choice of a longboat (a few people) or a much larger boat that holds about 30 people. Cost was about 650baht each by memory, and includes lunch, coffee/tea and snorkle gear hire.

It's a nice way to get around the island, and you can snorkle at the different locations - Shark Bay, Ao Leuk, Hin Wang, Mango Bay and Koh Nang Yuan.

In answer to your original question - how safe are the long boats? Well, I've never had a problem, but I'm glad that I can swim! I woke up early one morning on Koh Ngai to find a sunken longboat on the beach, surrounded by various bits floating in the water. And that was one a calm night.

Are the bigger boats any safer? They will probably survive a storm better than a long boat - but I don't think any of the boats in Thailand come with guarantees ! I've never concerns when on the water, but as I said, I'm glad that I can swim! :-)

#2 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 04:17

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Longtails are the most useless open sea boats in the world. Any time the swell or even chop gets above "*****" height they can't hack it. They are super expensive to buy, hideously noisy and expensive for passengers.

Don't post in about how great they are in navigating shallow reefs etc - Indo and the Philippines have thousands more reefs and islands than Thailand and their small praus with whisper quiet outboards do a much better job. And they handle chop and swell on the open sea way better.

Jeez I like a good rant! Anyway, the thing is that in the SW Monsoon season (which July and August is) even though Tao tends to be pretty dry, the winds get up around 15-20% of days from my experience - and it is on these days and the few following that the swell/chop gets "bigger". The rest of the time I've found sea conditions tend to be pretty good.

Now seeing you will probably be starting from the Sairee side which is the exposed side, you should be able to judge the wind/swell-chop on the day of your intended trip - note the other eastern side of the island is usually the lee coast in these months meaning calmer conditions even when its bumpy the other side.
    Opposite can apply for people intending to visit from mid Nov thru to end of this month give or take.

#3 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 08:10

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

WHOA!! Travelfish's inbuilt censor got me!!

"*****" was a term refers to scaredy cats. TF obviously don't like it because of its use in terms of the female anatomy. As if I'd intend that! - I try to avoid writing about things I don't know much about.

#4 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 08:15

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Oh yeah, I should be more specific - we are talking of swell/chop over about 0'6m, which is NOTHING in normal everyday sea situations.

#5 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 08:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Longtail Boats on Phi Phi ... By MrMidrange on 14 Nov 2006 1 1710 14 Nov 2006