Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best (Safe) Islands Near Bangkok

• shaneforan1

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2010

I am arriving in Bangkok on May 5th and am looking for a good and (safe from protests and / or riots) island that can be easily accessed from BKK airport. I have never been to Thailand and am a little stressed about the initial arrival with the issues in the city at the moment...

Would you recommend simply hopping in a taxi to an island? Any good hostels that would be recommended in a particular island town? I am looking for somewhere I can party at night but still relax during the day and read.

Looking forward to hearing from some experienced travelers!

Regards,

-Shane

#1 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 13:38

• Advertisement

• Husko

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2007

Hi,

Ko Samet is about 2.5hrs by taxi from airport but will need to find a driver that will do the run which may be a prob especially if you arrive later in the day. Taxi will take you to Ban Phe where you get a ferry for 50B or speed boat. Ferry stops at about 5pm - beware scams/touts. 200B National park entry is also payable. There are a few places to party at night if you stay on white sand beach kicking off around 10pm. Day time is chilled. Just got back on the weekend and can recommend for its beach and proximity to BKK.

Husko

#2 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 15:58

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Only thing I might add about Ko Samet (which I also have been to many times) is it's fairly quiet in terms of nitelife. Sure the are beach bars that run late, but from your other post where you said you want to meet up with similar-age (early 20s) people to party with, I think you'd be better off heading down to Ko Pangan where there are always loads of young partymakers, people to hook up with, share accommodation, etc.

As far as safety there is zero threat from protests on any of the islands, and getting from, say, the airport to the train station should be no problem. Book a sleeper train for that evening to Surat Thani and take a morning bus/ferry to the island. You will be in the company of many others headed the same way.

#3 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 23:46

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'm another fan of Samet. Note you can go to the airport's Transport Centre and get frequent buses to Rayong and then a songthaew to nearby Ban Phe - less frequent direct buses to Ban Phe. Takes 3-4 hours.

A real good beach because it is quiet but a very short walk to 3 lively beaches just to the north is Ao Pudsa/Tubtim. The 2 places there, Tubtim Resort and Pudsa Bungalows have bungalows from budget thru midrange (Tubtim only for the latter) and are good resorts.

I was on Samet a few weeks ago. I put a trip report written by Lady Tezza on TRAVELISH's Trip Report section of the Forum yesterday.

#4 Posted: 28/4/2010 - 18:06

• Risha

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

I never read or heard a thing about any protests or 'riots' on any island in Thailand. Every one of them is protest free.

#5 Posted: 29/4/2010 - 15:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.