Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok Int Airport- top

• thegreenadv-
    ocado

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2010

Can anyone tell me an approximate time on clearing customs at Bangkok Int Airport. I arrive at 4.20pm and am hoping to make the 6.10pm train to Chiang Mai leaving from Hualamphong Station. Is this a realistic time frame?
    Thanks

#1 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 13:58

• Advertisement

• ZPeppiatt

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2010

I would say no. The airport is right outside the city and the train station is smack bang in the middle. So on top of getting through passport control, waiting for your bags & clearing customs, you've still got to get all the way into Central Bangkok - it's about 22 miles/35km.

From memory, I think this takes about 45min-1hr on a good run; factoring in rush hour and potential delays due to the red shirts blockades (which are between airport & the train station) and I'd say your chances of making it are pretty slim. If you're going to try it be prepared for a mad dash and probable disappointment. Personally I'd either look to see if there was a convenient Air Asia flight that evening, or book the train for the next day.

Even if you are travelling hand luggage only I still think you are cutting it a bit fine.

#2 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 14:51

• ZPeppiatt

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2010

Or get the 10pm train which gets in at 12.45 - you lose about half a day, but at least you'll make the train.

#3 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 14:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.