Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Cancel my study abroad trip to Thailand? Need info fast.

• marksmb

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2010

University is thinking about cancelling our trip. Need quick info! 1) is airport in BKK affected? 2) Is Bangkok really a mess...looks that way in news. 3)If we fly into BKK but then leave to go to Kanchanburi, Ayuttaya, Krabi are we okay? Any info about safety of travel would be great. Need it quickly!

#1 Posted: 29/4/2010 - 10:34

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Mark,

1) Bangkok's main international airport is fine.
    2) A few, very localised area of Bangkok are indeed a mess.
    3) At the moment, I'd say yes.

The vast majority of Thailand, at the moment, is totally unaffected by all this. However the situation is very volatile and you should keep abreast of developments.

Generally speaking, our advice is:

"If you don't need to go to Bangkok, then don't go. If you do need to go, then stay well clear of the protest locations and try to spend as little time in Bangkok as you need to. Rail and bus services out of Bangkok are running normally -- at the moment."

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 29/4/2010 - 10:40

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

i've got two different colleagues using our May Holiday (from Shanghai) to fly into Bangkok for the weekend and then head to Ko Samuet and Phuket respectivly.

one of them is nicknamed 'chicken-little' because he always thinks the sky is falling -

and yet he has no trepidation about this trip.

if that helps.

#3 Posted: 29/4/2010 - 20:58

• ZPeppiatt

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2010

Where are you based? It might be an insurance issue.

UK, US & Canadian governments are all advising against all non-essential travel to the whole of Thailand.

There's no way a university is going to go ahead with a trip if they can't get travel insurance cover.

#4 Posted: 29/4/2010 - 22:07

• UpwardSpiral

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2009

1) don't listen to the news.. it's a tv show, get past it.
    2) go to thailand, have the best time of your life

#5 Posted: 11/5/2010 - 00:33

• bucharest

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2010

The airport is safe and all the main toll ways to the airport are secure,the areas to avoid are widely publicised and i see no reason why you should cancel your visit to thailand

#6 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 15:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Should I cancel my trip to Thailand June 1st - 13th Thanks for any help or advice! ... By violetray on 5 May 2010 11 2887 8 May 2010