Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

travel insurance- not covered for thailand, help!

• colo32

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2010

hey, i am due to fly into bangkok on 3rd may , i am currently in the process of trying to sort some travel insurance out but are unable to do so due to the british governments advice on not to travel to thailand , therefore this means that you will not be covered for any insurance medical etc if u are in thailand,
    is any body in the same situation as me, would be great for some advice as not sure what to do now.
    was planning on travelling around thailand into laos, cambodia and vietnam,
    some advice would be much appreciated, thanks lee

#1 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 02:03

• Advertisement

• ZPeppiatt

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2010

Hi Lee,

We're in much the same situation, although we don't fly out until 23rd, so I'm hoping the restriction will have been lifted by then. Not looking too good with Canada & the US following suit though...

I checked with my travel insurance company, and they said that I would be fine while I was in Cambodia/Laos, and if the FCO remove the advisory warning while we're out there, we will be covered in Thailand from the next day. We're flying with Jet Air, who don't fly anywhere else in the region, so flying into BKK is unavoidable. So our plan is to go straight to Cambodia now.

If the situation remains unchanged, we'll probably risk a night or two in a hotel near the airport (i.e. without insurance) before heading overland to Cambodia, but if things escalate we'll look at flights straight back out of BKK > Siem Reap. Then it'll just be a question of playing it by ear and devoting more time to Laos & Cambodia should the advisory warning stay in place.

To be honest, if I was going by myself with things as they are now I'd be tempted to risk a bit of time in Thailand without insurance (we were planning on spending the last week or so on Ko Phi Phi, so well out of any potential trouble). But we're taking our 4 yr old son and I'm just not willing to risk going without medical cover for him.

It's so frustrating, I think the Bangkok warning is fair enough (although from what I've read from people in Bangkok most of the city is fine & the only foreign nationals who've been hurt have been smack bang in the trouble zones) but extending it to the whole country just seems like a massive overreaction. Especially when you consider, as this Telegraph article points out, a countrywide advisory warning is not in place for Sudan, Iran or even Iraq!!

#2 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 02:59

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

If it's any help I've traveled in and been through Thailand many times even living there twice always without insurance. Somehow I survived, slightly traumatized but I'm ok.

#3 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 10:57

• rob_lord_uk

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2010

I have my insurance with HSBC and rang after it was advised by the government not to travel to whole of Thailand - I'm still covered according to the lady I spoke to on the phone and in the small print I cannot see anything about the govts advise voiding the insurance. I am flying out to Bangkok tomorrow.

#4 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 14:16

• dnbkittie

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010

I'm just wondering if anyone know how you stand on insurance if you dont already have cover...well I do have cover but my insurer says in black and white they dont cover if FCO advises against. So thats that! However having heard people taking about Aviva (although they are existing polciy holders) i have to say i rang them and they said they wouldnt cover but then the guy on the phone asked me what the problem was for thailand, so not sure i trust what he says, How can you not know working in insurance!! So anyway, in Avivas terms and condtions, general exclusions and policy wording it doesnt state anywhere (unlike other insurers) that it wouldnt cover you for FCO advised against countires. It says it wouldnt cover you for loss during war etc, but that''s not different to anyone else. So, how would you reckon I would stand on this? If its not in their wording, and they havent updated their website with new wording, then surely i can go by that and they would have to cover me?

#5 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 18:38

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've just added a new post containing advice from our recommended travel insurer, World Nomads.

You can read it here.

#6 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 19:18

• ZPeppiatt

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2010

@ dnbkittie - I'm in exactly the same situation.

I rang HSBC insurance (who I think are Aviva) and spoke to the Policy Enquiry Team, the Claims Dept and a Sales Adviser who confirmed it with the underwriters. All in all I think I was on the phone for over an hour!

I was told that they WILL provide standard cover for Thailand provided that the claim is not as a result of insurgency/rebellion etc (which would not be covered anyway) and I had followed the FCO's advice to those already in Thailand.

They don't cover cancellation due to FCO advice and I'm not sure what would happen if the FCO upgraded the warning to ALL travel to Thailand, but from reading the T&Cs I can't see how they would differentiate between that & 'all but essential travel', as they basically say it's ultimately your choice & that you're covered if you decide to travel as long as you follow FCO advice.

They are significantly more expensive that the company I was going to use, but I'm happy to pay the extra for peace of mind, and their annual policy works out not much more than the single trip quote in my case.

#7 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 22:49

• ZPeppiatt

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2010

Forgot to add - thanks for the tip, Rob_lord_uk!

Oh, and the sales adviser I spoke to was Graham on ext 7963, if you want to speak to someone who's already clued up on the Thailand situation!

#8 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 22:51

• dnbkittie

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010

After reading on a forum about people getting cover from various companies I phoned '1 stop travel insurance' who have covered me as a new person to travel. Just doesnt cover me if I get involved in an civil unrest. But broken bones, hospital visits etc are covered. And they were good value. For me and my partner it was £57 for both and includes an excess waiver of £4.50 each so I have no excesses now. It seemed far too easy but I have notes on the certificate to say that we wouldnt be covered for disruption in Thailand but any other claim was fine. Dont see how they can get out of that!

#9 Posted: 1/5/2010 - 01:22

• ZPeppiatt

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2010

That's a bit of a result!

No offense, but are you definitely sure it's legit? As that would save me a ton of money, but the T&Cs in the policy document online state

"General exclusions applicable to all sections of the policy

We will not pay for claims arising directly or indirectly from:

12. Your travel to a country or specific area or event to which the Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office or the World Health Organisation (WHO) or similar body has advised against all or all but essential travel."

#10 Posted: 1/5/2010 - 05:10

• Advertisement

• MNH1055

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2010

Due to travel with family to Phuket late Aug.

I am insured with HSBC and am suprised that they will not cover a cancellation that is due to following FCO advice. They will however cover me if I put my family at risk and travel despite FCO issuing "only essential travel" advice.

This sounds like the reverse of insurance and seems designed to avoid costs of payouts due to ligitimate cancellation..... Maybe worth a discussion with the Ombudsman.

#11 Posted: 24/5/2010 - 16:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel insurance for Thailand. ... By marineboy on 2 Dec 2007 6 3441 17 Dec 2007
Best travel insurance for Thailand ... By w33yin on 23 Feb 2008 2 4377 23 Feb 2008
Travel insurance and Thailand - PLEASE READ ... By somtam2000 on 30 Apr 2010 0 3684 30 Apr 2010
Travel insurance and Thailand May 2010 ... By somtam2000 on 20 May 2010 0 1117 20 May 2010
Travel insurance and Thailand's airport debacle ... By somtam2000 on 3 Dec 2008 2 2789 4 Dec 2008