Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Getting married in Bangkok

• DaveyC73

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2010

I'm due to land in Bangkok on 23rd May to spend 3 weeks in Thailand. Originally the plan was for me and my girlfriend to spend the first 4 days in Bangkok to get married, before heading off to other parts of Thailand and Vietnam.

What are peoples opinions on whether this would be possible taking the current situation into account?

Would it be possible to get taxi's to the various offices required, are these in 'red shirt' areas?

Or can you get married elsewhere in Thailand? I mean an official marriage that is valid in the UK - not just a ceremony.

#1 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 14:59

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Is your girlfriend Thai? If the answer to that question is no, then I would suspect you are in for some serious hassles. I live in Thailand, and when it comes to beureacratic crap, they take the cake.

#2 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 16:35

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We were married in Bangkok and neither of are Thai. There is some paperwork involved, basically you need to check with your embassy to find out what their regulations are. For Australians, it was as follows (from memory!):

The ceremony and the business side of things are two separate affairs. You can have Mickey Mouse marry you for all the Thais (and your embassy) will care. Beforehand you need to go to the local registration office (we went to the one in Bangrak (Silom) as it means town of love - yeah I know, cheesy. Anyway, once there was basically a case of signing in the ledger, there is normally a f=token fee (perhaps 500B) but the guy waived it for us as he said we were the first farang couple he had done.

Once done they gave us a certificate (in Thai) which meant we were married under Thai law. Then we had to go get that officially translated (your embassy will be able to give you a list of approved translators) and once it is done, you take iot to the embassy and register it and you're done.

It was a few years back and I'm a bit rusty on the details, but I do remember it was a full day of running around. If you don't speak any Thai, take a Thai speaker with you.

You can get married anywhere in the country -- Thais do it every day -- but you'll need to sort out the paperwork in Bangkok.

Are you planning on having some kinda do with friends? if so I'd lean towards doing it outside of Bangkok just because of the potential for hassle with public transport etc. Pick an island -- any one will do -- and file the paperwork when you're back in Bkk.

Lemme know if more questions and I can dig around for the details of what we did.

Oh, and congratulations!

#3 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 18:05

• DaveyC73

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2010

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Maybe I should have explained a bit better.

My girlfriend and I are both English and we are fairly comfortable with the procedure (having read up on it several months ago), although somtam2000 I do appreciate the details.

My query was more to do with the logistics of being able to get married in Bangkok the way things stand at the moment. I'm not sure on the locations of the various offices I need to go to and was wondering whether it would be okay to get around in a taxi to these places? Or should I steer clear of Bangkok altogether?

#4 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 19:09

• DaveyC73

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2010

Having done a bit more research on how to get married and where I need to go I have a further question that I'm hoping someone may be able to answer?

The first thing I'll need to do in order to get married in Thailand is get an 'Affirmation to marry' form signed at the British Embassy. The problem here is that the British Embassy appears to be on the outskirts of the 'Red Shirt' protest area in Ratchaprasong, Bangkok.

The address for the British Embassy is 14 Wireless Road, Lumpini, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330.

Do you know if it will be possible/safe to get to this location (probably in a taxi) or is it completely inaccessible? Is the Embassy even open? I have emailed the Embassy to try and get some info from them, but I'm yet to get a reply.

Thanks
    Dave

#5 Posted: 13/5/2010 - 17:15

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Embassy is closed today because of the dramas, but I wouldn't expect it to be closed for the forseeable future. The consular entrance is north of Rama I, shouldn't be too problematic -- go by taxi.

#6 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 10:22

• DaveyC73

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2010

Thanks for the reply SomTam, I've also had a reply from the embassy and they said I can also get the affirmation signed at any of the following consulates.

- Honorary Consulate, Chiang Mai http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/other-locations/chiangmai/contact-details
    - Honorary Consulate, Pattaya http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/other-locations/pattaya/contact-details/
    - Honorary Consul, Koh Samui (by appointment via email info@help4brits.org )
    - Honorary Consul, Phuket (by appointment via email martin@phuketconcierge.com )

So I might just start my holiday in Pattaya for the first couple of days, it'll only be a short taxi ride from the airport.

I would still need to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get the translated affirmation signed off though.

I thought I would share the information in case it's useful to anyone else.

#7 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 14:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.