Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Our Jungle House survival experience

• travbug

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2010

Hi all
    Has anyone done the jungle survival experience at Our Jungle House? We're thinking about doing the 2-night one in early June. Is that a good idea weather-wise, etc.? What about leeches? Any ideas on footwear?
    Thanks!
    Anne

#1 Posted: 2/5/2010 - 22:05

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Presume you're talking about Khao Sok? No need to do a 2 night survival trek if you want to experience getting attacked by leeches!

Here's what my leg looked like after a short morning stroll in the Khao Sok national park in December. (December isn't rainy season but June is so there may be a few more around when you're there).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8675349@N06/4571582295/

There were starving leeches all over my feet too... when you try and pick them off they attach themselves to your fingers. They're annoyingly persistent things but they don't hurt and they don't transmit any diseases AFAIK... you just bleed a lot, looks a lot worse than it feels.

I'm pretty sure practically every GH in Khao Sok can arrange trekking and other excursions so you don't really need to do your survival experience with Jungle Huts. It's cheap enough to stay there though. I paid 200B for a night in a rather small basic room there last December, but only because one of their touts had driven me there from the main road. There are loads of other places to stay in Khao Sok and I moved somewhere else next day.

If you can afford it, the Morning Mist resort just down the road is a lot nicer. I paid 650B for a very good fan room with hot water shower in a beautiful garden. They were building a (not terribly attractive) pool when I was there though, so prices may be higher now. However the restaurant is excellent so it's well worth eating there even if you don't stay.

#2 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 03:43

• travbug

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2010

Thanks SBE.

I'm not sure we're talking about the the same resort. The cheapest room at "Our Jungle House" is 800B, and the other rooms are all double that.

I believe December is soon after the monsoons there. I don't know if they would be worse in early June (when the monsoons are just starting) or not. Does anyone else know?
    Thanks
    Anne

#3 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 04:35

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Ah yes, sorry! Not the same place. Our Jungle House is on a side road a bit away from the main drag I think.

#4 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 04:49

• elle1981x

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

I stayed there and it was lovely, quite expensive though. We did a privately arranged tour through a guy at one of the restaurants down the road and it was amazing! Camped at the top of the waterfall... beautiful! The leech situation was pretty bad though. I didn't realise I had one attached until i reached the top and it was huge by that point. I think they're unavoidable though, they find a way into your socks and trainers. But we went at the start of rainy season so December may be better.

Hope this helps :)

#5 Posted: 16/5/2010 - 15:34

• travbug

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2010

Hi Elle1981x
    When did you go the Khao Sok? We are going in the second week of June - not sure whether the monsoon will be underway yet.
    Thanks
    Anne

#6 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 08:35

• travbug

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2010

Hi Elle1981x
    When did you go the Khao Sok? We are going in the second week of June - not sure whether the monsoon will be underway yet.
    Thanks
    Anne

#7 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 08:36

• elle1981x

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

We went around april which I think was the start of the rainy season... the second day of the trek was extremely wet! But as we were climbing down waterfalls and wading through rivers it didn't matter too much!Don't let the rain put you off... Just take waterproof stuff.
    I wanna go back to Koh Sok and stay on the floating rafthouses on Lake Chiaw which is in the park, they look amazing!!

http://www.asiaexplorers.com/thailand/khao_sok_national_park.htm

Elle

#8 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 14:37

• travbug

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2010

We're there around 6-8 June. We thought we would be there at the start of the monsoon. Does anyone know how much rain we can expect in Khao Sok? Is it worth going, or should we change our plans? With the Bangkok situation, we are running out of options.
    Thanks
    Anne

#9 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 19:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Jungle survival ... By Muppet on 21 Jul 2010 5 1665 24 Jul 2010
Jungle Experience ... By CosmicStar on 12 Apr 2009 1 1716 13 Apr 2009
Best/Most exciting Jungle experience in Thailand? ... By koenoosterbroek on 12 Jul 2009 19 5699 15 Jul 2009
Unique boat/jungle experience in South central Vietnam ... By henski on 12 Apr 2009 1 2103 13 Apr 2009