Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

BKK Airport to Kanchanburi

• hfergu

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Canada

I'm sorry if this was posted earlier, but I couldn't find an answer to this question specifically.

I know that it is possible to take a bus from the Southern Bus Terminal, or a train from Thonburi station to travel to Kanchanburi. I was hoping to avoid the city altogether - - are there any ways to get to Kanchanburi without entering Bangkok? For example, would it be possible to hire a van to the next closest train station, or to travel all the way by private vehicle. If so, how much might this cost?

My original plan was to take the train.. but I'm not sure if it is in a safe area.

Many thanks, and I'm sorry if this is repetitive.

#1 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 05:44

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey h,

are you talking about getting from the new airport directly out to kanchanaburi, or are you arriving from somewhere else?

from what i can tell from news and other reports, both the southern bus terminal and the bangkok noi (thonburi) train station are well outside of the protest centers. that's as it stands right now of course - things could change quickly.

if you are arriving at the new airport, it will be difficult to avoid bangkok altogether, since the airport is pretty much east of the city and kanchanaburi to the west. you could head up to ayutthaya i suppose, and from there take a bus to suphan buri and continue on to kanchanaburi. another option i imagine would be to take a taxi directly from the airport. if the cost all the way to kanchanaburi is too much for you, you could take the taxi to nakorn pathom, about 65km west of bangkok, and continue by bus or train from there. cheers.

#2 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 06:24

• hfergu

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Canada

thank you so much exacto! honestly, this site is amazing and people are always so helpful :)

i will be flying into the new airport at around midnight, so i've decided to stay at a guesthouse near the airport. i assume i can make arrangements on arrival about what the safest and most cost effective option will be.

it's good to know that i can catch the train in a nearby city. i looked up nakorn pathom and found train stations in talingchan and salaya, which seem to be even closer. would it be possible to taxi to these stations and go from there?

thanks!

#3 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 06:33

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

if i remember correctly, there is a list at the taxi queue at the airport with prices for various out-of-BKK spots. all in all, the prices are a pretty good deal. you might also be able to have the guesthouse where you spend the first night line up a taxi for you. check the price list at the taxi queue when you first arrive, so you'll have a basis for comparison. you can also just check with your hotel to see what the current situation is when you arrive. it may be that things are calm enough to taxi directly to the bangkok noi station in thonburi and catch the morning train to kanchanaburi.

be sure to check the schedule for the train (2x/day #257 and #259) from bangkok noi/thonburi to kanchanaburi and beyond. it is on the state railway of thailand website at:

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

#4 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 08:03

• RotPickup

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008
    Total reviews: 35

You can get a direct bus from the Suvarnabhumi Airport Transportation Centre to the Southern Bus Terminal. It is Bus Number 556; the fare is 35 Baht.
    From there you can continue on to Kanchanaburi by bus for about 100 Baht.

#5 Posted: 4/5/2010 - 22:42

• hfergu

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Canada

Hello again,

Now I'm getting pretty nervous. We leave on May 31st for our trip and things are NOT looking any better in BKK. Just worse, which is very unfortunate (and not just for our travel plans, of course!!)

Does the bus do a better job of bypassing the city than the train?
    Are train stations still open and running smoothly?

Maybe we can fly in somewhere else from the airport. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

#6 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 19:07

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    I arrived in Bangkok on Wednesday. I did stay overnight in an airport hotel as i didn't want to travel though Bangkok at night.

As RotPickup said; get the bus from the airport terminal to the SOuthern bus station and on to kanchanburi. This is what we did no problems.

If you are still worried we were offer a taxi all the way to kanchanaburi for 2,400 Baht. But it would still need to travel through Bangkok I think.

Mike

#7 Posted: 21/5/2010 - 19:58

• RotPickup

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008
    Total reviews: 35

Dear hfergu;
    i am in bangkok now for 4 days already; since then i have traveled around all over the city; apart from the traffic and heat it was fine everywhere.

#8 Posted: 25/5/2010 - 17:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Suvarnabhumi Airport to bus for Kanchanburi ... By ano_1 on 2 Jan 2010 6 2103 3 Jan 2010
Survanabhumi Airport to Kanchanburi by Bus ... By ano_1 on 21 Sep 2009 1 1127 21 Sep 2009