Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Traveling at night

• hmuscente1

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2010

Hi,
    My friend and I (2 girls) are arriving at Bkk in bangkok close to midnight. Is it safe to take a taxi or bus(if any run) from Bangkok to Pattaya that late at night? Also, what do you recommend for traveling to Pattaya. We only have about 2 and a half days in Thailand before we make our way over to the Cambodian border, Koh Kong. If you could give us prices and time frames that would be great.

One more thing, is there a direct route from Pattaya to Koh Kong? Thank you very much.

#1 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 14:34

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Pattaya is a bit of a Thai version of Miami Beach - except the beaches are not as good and the hookers way more active. It is an interesting place to visit nevertheless - but if I was transiting the area I'd head for Ko Samet or Ko Chang further east, but still on your route to Cambo. These are real nice holiday island with good beaches and accomm in all price ranges.

Any small tavel agent on those islands or at the mainland piers can sort out transport to the border.

There are some quite good inexpensive hotels in the vicinity of the airport, check out booking sites like Sawedee.com and Agoda - I reckon I would head to one of these, then maybe go back to the airports Travel Centre where regular buses leave to Rayong/Ban Phe for Samet and Trat for Ko Chang. The eastern bus terminal is not too far from the airport for similar, maybe even more regular, services.

If you have your heart set on Pattaya I think midnight is too late for the regular buses/minibuses to that destination. A taxi would cost 2000 to 3000. That could buy one of the best midrange rooms in Bangkok.

#2 Posted: 4/5/2010 - 17:51

• RotPickup

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008
    Total reviews: 35

A very good advice by tezza.
    Try to get a nice Hotel like the Convenient Grand Hotel near the Airport and get an early morning bus from the airport straight to the nice city of Trat .
    If you really would like to see Pattaya try to stay somewhere away from the action (for example the Aiyara Palace Hotel in Naklua) and get a share-taxi into South Pattaya.
    Taking a taxi from the airport in the middle of the night is not recommended as there have been a few incidents in the past.
    This goes especially for 2 woman who have never been to Pattaya.
    To go to Ko Kong:
    From Bangkok get a bus to Trat (165 THB),; from Trat get a Minibus to the border of Had Lek (120THB) and from there get a motorcycletaxi (50THB) to Ko Kong.
    From Pattaya you can get a Minibus straight to the border of Had Lek.
    As there are a zillion travelagents in Pattaya this trip can be booked very easy.

#3 Posted: 4/5/2010 - 22:21

• stone

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2010

According to this website: http://www.transitbangkok.com/from_Bangkok_to.html the way to travel from Bangkok to Pattaya is by bus.

#4 Posted: 17/11/2010 - 02:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.