Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Train fr Thailand to Malaysia.. Chumphon to Butterworth

• CRASHT1224

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2010

Hello all,
    Ive made my way down to Ko Tao right now and will be here for a few more days. After this Im heading to Malaysia.
    I know there is a train from Chumphon to Butterworth. It leaves at 21:47 fr Chumphon and arrives the next afternoon.
    My question is : Im a US Citizen, so I dont require a visa to enter Malaysia.. but, how does the train work with immigration?
    Will I have to get off the train at the frontier/border, pass through immigration, then get back on the train?
    Or do they do the immigration process on the train itself?
    Ive been using this: http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Singapore
    as a resource but it doesnt specifically mention anything about immigration.

Thanks in advance. I would be lost in Asia without you guys!

#1 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 17:31

• Advertisement

• CRASHT1224

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2010

After a bit more searching on the thai railway site it seems that although the train stops at chumphon and goes on to surath thani --> butterworth, it wont allow me to buy tickets from Chumphon.
    The system only allows tickets to be purchased from Bangkok to Butterworth.

Am I doing something wrong, or is that the way the trains work?

#2 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 17:49

• RotPickup

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008
    Total reviews: 35

-You can buy a ticket at Chumphon Station and most probaply at a reliable travelagent at Ko Tao (there they ask for a fee and sometimes you have to pick up the ticket somewhere in Chumphon).
    -The train stops at the border at a special customs/immigration platform.
    Everybody has to leave the train together with his luggage; go through customs; go through immigration and then re-enter the train. Usually done in 5 minutes per person.
    -If you wish you can change money at the platform too.
    -1st Class Carriages only go as far as HatYai.

#3 Posted: 3/5/2010 - 22:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
chumphon train to bangkok ... By jasonkim8486 on 6 Nov 2009 2 7601 6 Nov 2009
Chumphon hotel and train ... By LeonardCohen1 on 20 May 2013 4 1414 21 May 2013
Train from Chumphon to Kanchanaburi ... By karyn on 5 Jul 2006 8 9458 2 May 2010
Urgent - Night bus/train to Chumphon - do I need to book ahead? ... By meltravelstheworld on 22 Mar 2010 3 5900 14 Mar 2011