Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Train fr Thailand to Malaysia.. Chumphon to Butterworth

Posted by CRASHT1224 on 3/5/2010 at 17:31

Hello all,
Ive made my way down to Ko Tao right now and will be here for a few more days. After this Im heading to Malaysia.
I know there is a train from Chumphon to Butterworth. It leaves at 21:47 fr Chumphon and arrives the next afternoon.
My question is : Im a US Citizen, so I dont require a visa to enter Malaysia.. but, how does the train work with immigration?
Will I have to get off the train at the frontier/border, pass through immigration, then get back on the train?
Or do they do the immigration process on the train itself?
Ive been using this: http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Singapore
as a resource but it doesnt specifically mention anything about immigration.

Thanks in advance. I would be lost in Asia without you guys!

#1 CRASHT1224 has been a member since 4/3/2010. Posts: 10

Posted by CRASHT1224 on 3/5/2010 at 17:49

After a bit more searching on the thai railway site it seems that although the train stops at chumphon and goes on to surath thani --> butterworth, it wont allow me to buy tickets from Chumphon.
The system only allows tickets to be purchased from Bangkok to Butterworth.

Am I doing something wrong, or is that the way the trains work?

#2 CRASHT1224 has been a member since 4/3/2010. Posts: 10

Posted by RotPickup on 3/5/2010 at 22:46

-You can buy a ticket at Chumphon Station and most probaply at a reliable travelagent at Ko Tao (there they ask for a fee and sometimes you have to pick up the ticket somewhere in Chumphon).
-The train stops at the border at a special customs/immigration platform.
Everybody has to leave the train together with his luggage; go through customs; go through immigration and then re-enter the train. Usually done in 5 minutes per person.
-If you wish you can change money at the platform too.
-1st Class Carriages only go as far as HatYai.

#3 RotPickup has been a member since 7/6/2008. Posts: 32

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.