Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Should I cancel my trip to Thailand June 1st - 13th Thanks for any help or advice!

• violetray

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Hello!

I have a trip booked to Thailand starting out in Bangkok from June 1st to 3rd then to Krabi and Ko Phi Phi from the 3rd to 6th then Phuket 6th to 13th. Because of the embassy advisorys against traveling, my 2 girl friends are leaning towards cancelling their trips :( I am leaning towards still going and am wondering if anyone who is already there could comment on the safety conditions at the moment??

My friends were also going to be in Chiang Mai from May 28th to June 1st and were wondering about the safety conditions there as well? Should we cancel our trips? Any help or tips is much appreciated! Thank you so much!

Cheers!!
    Rae

#1 Posted: 5/5/2010 - 14:16

• Advertisement

• gondolaz

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Hi Rae,

I am live in Thailand.
    You do net need to cancel the trip to Krabi, Phi Phi, and Phuket. All of place is save. Do not worry about that.
    For Chiang Mai it's OK. Do you visit at Chiang Mai district? I recommend you traveling outside Chiang Mai district is better.

Kickoff,
    Gondolaz

#2 Posted: 5/5/2010 - 14:51

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Regarding the current political standoff, there is no threat whatsoever in Krabi, Phi Phi, Phuket, or Chiang Mai. No threat worth even considering outside of those select areas of Bangkok which are easily avoided. Tourists have never been directly in danger due to this situation except for those who stupidly ignored warnings and went into those no-go zones.

I also live in Thailand (Chiang Mai) and can say there is no likely danger involved in your travel plan (aside from the usual speeding bus or flying coconut). Might want to check about coverage if you have travel insurance but otherwise I'd definitely say go ahead with your plan. In most of the country you would never even know anything was out of the ordinary. Personally I'd shorten the time spent in Bangkok anyway, and spend more time on the islands or up north.

#3 Posted: 5/5/2010 - 15:50

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

I live in Malaysia, and will be heading up to Krabi and the Phangga Bay end of this month for a week holiday. And we know these places are as safe as wooden horse.

Dont worry.

AA

#4 Posted: 5/5/2010 - 15:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

As things stand right now, it's still perfectly safe to travel. The government warnings are overblown. Just don't hang out near the protest areas and you'll be fine.

#5 Posted: 5/5/2010 - 17:35

• violetray

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Thanks so much everyone for your feedback!! My friends are still feeling hesitant about going as they were most interested in seeing Bangkok and Chiang Mai and they have heard that even Chiang Mai may have some continual safety concerns.

But I am most interested in seeing the beaches so will likely avoid Bangkok all together and will still go on my trip as planned. Unfortunately probably without my lovely friends :(

#6 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 05:12

• yosawee

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2010

Hello dear,
    You don't have to worried that much. It's nothing serious here.
    Thai people love tourists. Most of travelling spot still safe.
    Now our government and protestors are more compromise.
    So thailand is coming in peace soon:-)))
    Beside lots of tourists concern, every places are cheaper and better service to compensate your fear.
    Welcome to thailand:-)

#7 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 10:12

• AbgAcid

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Well thats too bad Violet, but look on the brigther side of travelling solo. Without you friends as companions , you may have more time to interact with the locals, more chance of getting to know the country better. It will be more interesting, you will become self independant, resourcefull, and have more interesting stories to tell the folks back home how you did it alone.

And you will certainly make new friends along the way too.

Have a good time in Thailand.

AA

#8 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 23:13

• AbgAcid

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia

[qoute]
    Thai people love tourists. Most of travelling spot still safe.

Yes Yosawee, I truly believe in your words. Thai people in general love tourist. Even I as a Malaysian, share the same skin, am always treated nicely once I open my mouth to speak. Thais immediately know I m a tourist and they treat me nicely, kind and helpfull. As on most of my visits to Thailand were on motorcycle, and I had to ask the locals on many occasions for places and hotels.

I presume you are a Thai, yes?

AA

#9 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 23:24

• bucharest

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2010

No need to cancel at all.

Have a safe trip and if you head up to the north east i will take you for a beer or two

#10 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 00:34

• Advertisement

• violetray

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Thanks again everyone for all of your reassurance and positive feedback!!

I feel reassured about going to the beach towns. Would anyone advise against going to Bangkok or Chiang Mai in 3 weeks? I am hoping that your feedback on this post will help my friends make their final decision about the trip...

Thank you!!

#11 Posted: 8/5/2010 - 03:24

• Lagoud

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Total reviews: 5

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Violet,

Agree with all that's been said above. No real dangers and now that the two sides are actually talking things look like they will quieten down and the streets will be clear again.
    It may even be resolved by the time you fly over.
    Bangkok and Chiang Mai can still be visited even now. As said above, just avoid the few hot spots in Bangkok.

#12 Posted: 8/5/2010 - 09:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cancel my study abroad trip to Thailand? Need info fast. ... By marksmb on 29 Apr 2010 5 2076 18 May 2010
Taxi share Bangkok to poi pet (Aranyaprathet) on June 12th or 13th? ... By brummieboarder on 24 May 2012 0 1266 24 May 2012
Turning 30 on April 13th, going to SE asia for 4-6 weeks need advice! ... By mkrystofia on 3 Jan 2012 3 1065 10 Jan 2012
Honest advice - should I go to Thailand in June? ... By bluebelle on 14 May 2010 7 2947 4 Jun 2010