Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

4 weeks itenary for Thailand - Need advice

• JamesATaber

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Hello fellow travelers :)

I planning to traveling to Thailand in the end of June for a period of 4 weeks.

At the moment my plan is to spend a few days in Bangkok and then travel to Chiang Mai..

I am sure about that I am not going to Pattaya for mongering.

My plan is to relax, enjoy and look around a bit.. and I am traveling with my girlfriend.

I have not decided anything about where to stay and what to do.

Could someone please help me, and give me some pointers?

#1 Posted: 5/5/2010 - 17:17

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I can't help you with Chaing Mai, but for a real nice island near Bangkok you might read TRAVELFISH's pages on Ko Samet.

#2 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 18:03

• bucharest

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2010

You could try Surin in north east, very low prices and some good accomodation,your also close to the cambodia border if you wanted to take a trip that way for a day.

Access to Surin by train from bangkok or coach from Moo Chit are the cheapest ways,if you go by train make sure you book the fastest option.

Have a safe trip

#3 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 00:40

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You could make a few stops along the way to Chiangmai, like in Ayuthaya, Lopburi, Sukhothai, or Lampang, even just for a night, then leave the next morning for another leg of the journey.

Or take an indirect route to Chiangmai ... take the night train from Bangkok to Nong Khai, then travel by bus along the Mekong River towards Chiang Khan via Sangkhom, then Loei, Phitsanulok, Chiangmai ... followed by an indirect route back ... Mae Hong Song, Mae Sariang or Hot, Tak or Kamphaeng Phet, Kanchanaburi (and Sangkhlaburi) and then Bangkok.

I'm not laying a route for you, just trying to illustrate that there are loads of nice places between and around the main cities. Even the countryside between each place can be nice to see from a bus window. Each town/village has its own charms and places to stay. Buses are inexpensive, go absolutely everywhere and frequently.

Going slowly from place to place is an excellent way to see the country and meet people, if that's what you're interested in doing.

#4 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 01:15

• JamesATaber

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Wow.. thanks for your responses, I really appreciate your help and time.

Tilapia, I think you mentioned a lot of nice places, that I think I would very much love to visit. But I have to chose 2-3 places which would you chose. Maybe I stay 4-5 days at each place ?(not sure about this)

Would you recommend to travel at night or by day?

#5 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 02:50

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Travel by night or day?

This depends. How long will the trip be? Have I been to the places in between in the past? Time constraints? etc. Generally, though, if it's going to be a long one, I'll travel by night on a train whenever possible. For shorter trips (up to around 5 hours, or so) I'll go in the daytime. It also depends on where you are going. Most of the smaller towns won't have transport to/from after a certain time.

My favourite part of the country is the NE, especially between Nong Khai and Chiang Khan. With that in mind, and in no particular order, I would recommend ...

- Nong Khai (after getting off the train, or just before getting onto it)
    - Sangkhom for hammock-lazing river-watching time along the Mekong for a few days (at Buoy Bungalows) with a big book and a big appetite
    - Chiang Khan for time in a charming, very quiet, fairly old wooden town with more guest houses than there are visitors to the town
    - Sukhothai for a few days for temples, as well as Si Satchanalai (rent a motorbike for a couple of days)
    - Nan ... a bit out of the way, but worth it as it's gorgeous
    - Sangkhlaburi
    - Ban Saphan Yai

I also love Trat, Phimai, and think that Kanchanaburi is quite nice. Favourite islands are Koh Mak, Koh Jum, and Koh Tao. I am still working my way through my "get to" list, so there are plenty more that I'm sure others could recommend to you.

All of these places, in my opinion, are good for 2-5 days.

#6 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 04:11

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Oh, and I really enjoyed Khong Chiam, as well. Lovely spot. Out of the way. Sheltered by hills and on the bank of the Mekong, not far from the border crossing at Chong Mek.

I didn't mention Bangkok. Next to Montreal, it's my favourite city, and I could easily spend a few weeks there just going to temples, markets, hanging out by the river, checking out old neighbourhoods, and eating.

#7 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 04:14

• jeremybrstl

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2010

I would recommend your Bangkok accommodation somewhere in Sukhumvit Road but if you're romantic, why not take up a hotel along the banks of the Chao Phraya river?

Check Out: www.bangkok-accommodation.com

#8 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 18:56

• yosawee

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2010

If you like to stay away from the crowd and you love the sand and the sunshine. I'd recommend you to try Chaolao beach at Chanthaburi Province. There're lots of nice accommodations to stay along their and also nice places to visit. This area is also famous of tropical fruits, gems producing and trading, the old town and water fall.

www.chivareehotelandresort.com
    www.baantoom.com
    www.clbeach.com

#9 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 19:32

• Lagoud

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Total reviews: 5

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi James,

Agree with Tilapia as he mentions a lot of my favorite places. I've toured North Thailand several times and it is enchanting. There are historical towns and sites, temples, adventure tours and beautiful mountains and even the descendants of the KMT armies from China still grow tea up there.
    Basically Thailand is known as the LOS (Land Of Smiles) and whereever you go you will be welcomed and enjoy yourselves. Don't want to put a dampner on it but bear in mind you are there at the beginning of the rainy season and its quite hot too.

Have a great time.

#10 Posted: 8/5/2010 - 09:41

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
7 weeks Indonesian rough itenary. Advice needed thanks! ... By CoolOperator on 19 Jul 2014 2 876 19 Jul 2014
Itenary help/advice Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam ... By nhopkinsuk84 on 29 Aug 2013 11 1681 6 Sep 2013
very rough itenary...advice infinitely appreciated! ... By andrea13 on 17 Jun 2011 3 2025 17 Jun 2011