Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help with Itinerary (before I book my AA tickets)

• lowndes

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2010

So, I posted this question several months back but have my travel dates firmed up and have rearranged my itinerary based on suggestions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Aug.4th - Land in Bangkok
    Aug. 5th - Evening Train to Chiang Mai
    Aug. 6th - Chiang Mai
    Aug. 7th - Chiang Mai
    Aug. 8th - Chiang Mai
    Aug. 9th - Wilderness Trek in Mae Hong Son province
    Aug. 10th - Wilderness Trek
    Aug. 11th - Wilderness Trek
    Aug. 12th - Finish Trek and return to Chiang Mai
    Aug. 13th - Chiang Mai
    Aug. 14th - Depart CM for Phuket
    Aug. 15th - Phuket
    Aug. 16th - Phuket
    Aug. 17th - Phuket
    Aug. 18th - Phuket
    Aug. 19th - Phuket
    Aug. 20th - Depart Phuket for Kuala Lumpur
    Aug. 21st - KL
    Aug. 22nd - Depart KL for Siem Reap
    Aug. 23rd - Siem Reap
    Aug. 24th - Siem Reap
    Aug. 25th - Siem Reap
    Aug. 26th - Siem Reap
    Aug. 27th - Siem Reap to Phonm Phen
    Aug. 28th - PP
    Aug. 29th - Depart PP for Bangkok
    Aug. 30th - Bangkok
    Aug. 31st - Depart Bangkok

So that is basically what I am looking at. We are going on a trek with a guy named Sam from gowithmetours@yahoo.com . He seems to come highly recommended and it will only be my wife, myself, a guide and his assistant on the trek.

Phuket we plan to just make day trips to places we want to see instead of hopping all around. Thought that would be more relaxing than changing hotels all the time.

We're going to Kuala Lumpur because the cheapest route to Siem Reap is on Air Asia from Phuket to KL and KL to SR. Figured it would be worth it to stay a day or so.

Siem Reap is what I am most excited about so I wanted to stay a while. Then we'll go up to PP because I think it would be neat to see and flights back to BKK are much cheaper from there than SR.

So how does that look? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help.

#1 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 09:51

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I always like a little more quality time in a place. Depending on how much you're saving on the flight from Phuket to KL - you could always skip KL so that you could squeeze in an extra day at PP. As well, you could just direct connect with as minimal layover as possible to hop right over on the same day to Siem Reap to free up that extra day for PP.

I'm sure both these major cities deserve more than a day and it could be that with either or both you'll regret not having more than a day to taste the local flavor. Every time I set aside one day for a place I regret that I couldn't stay at least one more.

Just a suggestion, I think it looks like a fine itinerary and doesn't need any real adjustment.

#2 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 10:19

• yogakhaolak

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

Not sure if you are aware of this but it will be the middle on Monsoon in Phuket in August. If you are not after a relaxing beach thing then this shouldn't be a problem. If you are, you may want to consider revising and heading to the Gulf (E coast) instead.

#3 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 10:23

• lowndes

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2010

Thank you for the pieces of advice so far. I guess I need to research KL a little more and see what there is to do there. Even if we just used it as a stopover it is still the cheapest way to Siem Reap from Phuket. (well cheapest and easiest). I was thinking that since we are going through anyways might as well see the city.

Regarding Phuket. I do know that it is rainy season but I have always been told that it doesn't rain non stop. It rains some and is sunny some. Also, I really want to see Phang Nga Bay and do the Hongs by Starlight trip, so we have to be in that area. If it rains a lot and we have to relax in the hotel I will be find with that. This part of the trip is more for relaxation than adventure.

#4 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 10:57

• lowndes

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2010

So I did some research and maybe KL doesn't sound like a place we need to spend time on this trip. Thinking about doing an Air Asia flight from Phuket to KL departing at 9:40 on the 20th and landing at 11:30 in KL. Spend the night at the airport and catch the 7:00 flight to Siem Reap and be in Siem Reap by 8:00 am on the 21st.

With some of the promos AA is running this would only cost about $100 a person. Seems like it would be the best combination of cheap, comfortable, and quick.

#5 Posted: 7/5/2010 - 11:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Should I pre-book tickets to Laos? ... By cbaumga2 on 9 Apr 2009 1 1597 9 Apr 2009
A train to Sapa-Where to Book the tickets? ... By dganitbz on 3 Oct 2010 4 3714 4 Oct 2010
online bus tickets - did someone book it before by mobile phone? ... By GuideLion on 6 Mar 2014 4 545 8 Mar 2014