Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand from 24th of June until 16th of July

• matjizzle

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2010

dear all,

I have a friend living in Bangkok, so this seemed a good opportunity to visit her. She needs to work there, so after visiting bangkok together, I would like to take a backpack and travel around in Thailand. I have a few basic question, concerning accomodation. I don't really know where to go, suggestions would be nice, but if I go unplanned somewhere, how do I arrange an accomodation? as a backpacker, I suppose that the best solution is to buy water from stores. is there a good availability of this when you travel for example up north - north east. I read a topic about malaria, is it necessary to take some medicines or stuff like that before I leave? or there further guidelines or things I should consider? any backpackers during that period who travel around aswell?

thank you in advance!

#1 Posted: 11/5/2010 - 03:12

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

1) How long will you be in Bangkok?

2) What would you like to see/do in Thailand? For example, do you like to see historical areas? Shop? Rock climb? Dive?

" ... if I go unplanned somewhere, how do I arrange an accomodation?"

During that time of the year, you probably won't need to arrange anything ahead of time.

"I suppose that the best solution is to buy water from stores."

Stores, gas stations, food stalls ... you can find it everywhere.

"... is there a good availability of this when you travel for example up north - north east."

Everywhere.

"I read a topic about malaria, is it necessary to take some medicines or stuff like that before I leave?"

That is a personal decision, and depends on where you want to go. For example, if you are going to visit. Most people don't take anything for malaria. But you should speak to your doctor, or to someone at a Tropical Medicine Clinic or Travel Clinic, and make up your own mind. I never bring anti-malarials, but that's me.

"... or there further guidelines or things I should consider? any backpackers during that period who travel around as well?"

None. Just enjoy yourself and enjoy the food and people and scenery. There will be plenty of foreigners traveling at the same time as yourself.

#2 Posted: 11/5/2010 - 08:24

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry ... I forgot to finish my sentence. Too busy watching hockey while I type.

This is what I was going to say ...

For example, if you are going to visit cities and towns, in most parts of the country you won't have to worry about malaria. If you are going to be visiting very rural areas, especially around the border with Cambodia, you might want to consider using anti-malarials. But, so you know, most places will have mosquito nets in areas where mosquitoes are a problem. If you take other precautions like wearing long pants around sundown and using DEET, you should be fine. But like I said, it's a personal decision as to whether or not you should use anti-malarials.

#3 Posted: 11/5/2010 - 08:52

• matjizzle

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2010

hi,

I'm thinking about staying in Bangkok for 3 or days when I arrive, and 3 days when I go back. I have accomodation overthere, and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that there is plenty of stuff to do in the city of bangkok during those days (or is it to long?)

I have been reading some posts about Islands such as Ko Samet, and I'm sure that I want to do some Islands but I would like to go more in the country aswell. I read the following post of you, where you propose this:

- Nong Khai (after getting off the train, or just before getting onto it)
    - Sangkhom for hammock-lazing river-watching time along the Mekong for a few days (at Buoy Bungalows) with a big book and a big appetite
    - Chiang Khan for time in a charming, very quiet, fairly old wooden town with more guest houses than there are visitors to the town
    - Sukhothai for a few days for temples, as well as Si Satchanalai (rent a motorbike for a couple of days)
    - Nan ... a bit out of the way, but worth it as it's gorgeous
    - Sangkhlaburi
    - Ban Saphan Yai

It seems like it goes through a big part of Thailand, but to be honest, I don't know any of these places (which can be very nice).

I would really enjoy some historical areas and nature parcs (which ones). Diving would also be very nice, but then again, where, and is it safe since I have no previous experience in it.

thank you for the reply!

#4 Posted: 11/5/2010 - 19:39

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you stay in Bangkok for a total of 6 days, or so, you'll have just over 2 weeks for traveling outside of the city.

Personally, I don't think that 6 days is too long. When you consider that one day will be the day you arrive, and another will be the day you leave, you really only have 4 days to look around. Of course, depending on what you like and want to see, you could stay longer or for less time.

If you only have about two weeks and you want to visit an island, I recommend that you only go to one rather than spend much time traveling from one island to another. Weather could also be a factor since you will be there during the rainy season. Koh Samet, Koh Chang, Koh Wai and Koh Mak are all within half a day of Bangkok whereas the islands in the south require an entire day of travel (one day there, and one day back) or more.

Some historical (UNESCO) sites ... Sukhothai, Ayuthaya, Phimai, Phnom Rung.

For nature ... Khao Sok, Khao Sam Roi Yot, Khao Yai. There are many more. Just do an internet search.

Can't help you with diving.

Good luck.

#5 Posted: 11/5/2010 - 23:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand from July 17th til August 16th ... By caseybln on 3 Jul 2011 1 1810 3 Jul 2011
Bali 20thJune-24th June ... By crooze on 16 Jun 2011 0 1077 16 Jun 2011
Housing for Full Moon Party on June 16th ... By parth82390 on 26 May 2011 0 1768 26 May 2011
Lone traveller arriving in Bangkok June 24th 2014 ... By NFT_Terrorist on 21 May 2014 5 819 22 Jun 2014
Thailand all over the place June, July,August ... By bdobbs86 on 10 Jun 2010 0 2438 10 Jun 2010
Thailand June/July--a monumental error? ... By jcampbell3 on 4 Apr 2007 5 78050 19 Apr 2007
Thailand for 2 weeks in May/June/July 2013 ... By lisanolan2204 on 10 Aug 2012 5 4000 21 Aug 2012
Honeymoon June/July in Thailand or Malaysia? ... By maribsa on 23 Feb 2010 4 6387 5 Mar 2010
Thailand, islands, and Cambodia June/July 09 ... By jazzabelle on 31 Mar 2009 6 4610 14 May 2009
29/M Travelling Thailand and SE Asia from June/July onwards ... By Yankeeruinx on 30 Jan 2012 5 1545 20 May 2012