Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand in June-urgent

• shreesha

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2010

Would you advise a vacation to Thailand in June 1st week? I wa looking to visit Bangkok, Pattaya/phuket

#1 Posted: 12/5/2010 - 13:35

• Advertisement

• UCSBrown

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009

What is your question?

#2 Posted: 12/5/2010 - 13:44

• shreesha

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2010

wrt weather would it be a good choice to visit thailand in June

#3 Posted: 12/5/2010 - 13:45

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

#4 Posted: 12/5/2010 - 15:33

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You'll get better weather on the Pattaya side of Thailand than you will on Phuket. I'd also keep abreast of developments in Bangkok. For other areas of the country, try the weather map suggested by SBE above.

#5 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 10:06

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Statistically Pattaya is better than Phuket , but the latter in June usually has enough sunshine to make for a good visit. The southern Gulf islands are normally better than most. I'm a weather nerd, this is my usual spiel for June:
    --------------------------
    In June/July normally all Thailand except the southern Gulf is in monsoon. The southern Gulf (Samui and neighbours plus adjacent mainland coast) usual wet season is Oct into Jan. I have had some great holidays there mid year - lots of sunshine, a few good storms.

June/July is normally not the worst of the wet season most other places - Sept and OCt tend to be wetter. I know one Phuket expat says the real wet season does not start until sometime in late July or even later. I have had good holidays both midyear and in August in the Andaman. Usually plenty of sunshine, one or more showers/storms per day, quite a few days with no rain or rain only at night, prolonged rainy periods not real common.

"Anywhere I should avoid?".

Well the eastern Gulf around Trat/big Ko Chang is often REAL wet in June - the AVERAGE is over 900mm for the month - I'd hate to be there in a wetter than normal June. For comparison, I think London averages something in the 400s for a YEAR. Nevertheless I've seen plenty of posts from Chang in mid-year talking of good holidays - looks like they still get a fair bit of sunshine, but when it rains it REALLY rains.
    I've also seen a number of posts talking of PEOPLE DROWNING in big surf on Chang. All the main beaches face west into the prevailing winds - when these blow hard for a few days you can get big surf with dangerous rip currents, so take care. Maybe you could read my TIPS ON NOT DROWNING PAGE here http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/2007/04/some-tips-on-not-drowning.html
    The Ranong area is also extra wet at around 700mm. I think the tourist attractions there,Ko Phayam and little Ko Chang Andaman side largely close down in the wet season.

BTW, the central Gulf, Ko Samet, Pattaya and Bangkok often get less rain than most areas besides the southern Gulf in JuneJuly.

#6 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 19:32

• RotPickup

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008
    Total reviews: 35

Very good advice by Tezza.
    From my experience the best beach-area during the raining season is on the gulf-coast all the way down from Petchaburi to Surat Thani.
    That should give you lots of places to go; also usually when it rains in one place moving for as little as 30km the weather can be quite different.
    Don't even think of visiting Ranong and around; it rains very hard and very long down there; the Islands of Chang and Phayam are virtually off limits during the rainy-season.
    Pattaya is usually quite dry too; in terms of rain; that is...

#7 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 21:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.