Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Phangan To Bali In 2 Days? How?

• JamieG

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Hey Guys,

Ok, a little while off, but would like to pre plan a little!

I have booked accomodation in Koh Phangan over Christmas for a few nights and have also booked accomodation in Bali for New Year!

I leave Koh Phangan on 28th December and my accomodation is in Kuta, Bali from the 30th December.

So, I have 2 days and 2 nights to get from KP to Kuta in Bali. I would like to avoid flying as I would like to do it cheaper by travelling overland.

Is this possible in the time frame and how?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jamie

#1 Posted: 12/5/2010 - 23:08

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Have you looked at a map?

You must fly to Indonesia.

Take a bus from Surat Thani (the city nearest Koh Phangan) to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. From KL you can get a cheap AirAsia flight to Bali (DPS). Book as soon as possible, as fares really shoot up when the holiday season is near.

#2 Posted: 13/5/2010 - 11:23

• JamieG

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

So, if we get a bus from Surat Thani to KL, how long would this take approximately?

Just so I know when best to book the flight from KL to Bali!

Thanks Again

Jamie

#3 Posted: 13/5/2010 - 17:25

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

As Idreamofdurian says, you'll have to fly if you want to get there in 2 days. Even if you had seamless connections and 48 hours of straight travel, you wouldn't make it in 2 days.

If you want to leave earlier, you could take the train from Surat Thani to Singapore, go to the port and catch the ferry to Tanjung Priok. From there another ferry to Surabaya, then a bus to Denpasar. It's a great trip for someone with time on their hands, but not for someone in a rush.

Not only is it slower, it costs almost as much, if not more, than a cheapo flight between Kuala Lumpur and Denpasar. You won't be saving any money, especially if you're in a hurry.

I'd also skip the bus and take the train to KL. It's a long trip and train is much more comfortable. Work out your train/bus/plane ticket(s) before heading to the island.

Good luck.

#4 Posted: 13/5/2010 - 20:58

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

Yeah, overland/water in 2 days is extremely impossible. Just the ferry from Singapore to Tanjung Priok takes nearly 30 hours and it only goes once or twice per week.

As tilapia said, it's a long ride from Surat Thani to Kuala Lumpur - maybe 10-12 hours by bus. The train is definitely more comfortable, but it's slower. If you're able to sleep on buses, an overnight bus might be a good option.

With the budget airlines in SE Asia it's often the same price to fly as it is to bus/train.

Another option would be to bus from Surat Thani to Hat Yai or Phuket in Thailand, then fly to Singapore and then to Bali. Check fares with AirAsia, TigerAirways, and JetStar -- all 3 fly these routes.

#5 Posted: 13/5/2010 - 21:10

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

Hey tilapia, if you don't mind my snoopiness, where in Canada are you? I'm a Manitoba girl.

#6 Posted: 13/5/2010 - 21:11

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Ahhh ... a fine place to come from.

I'm from a nice, small place called Chippawa on the Niagara River, just upriver from the falls. Now I'm living one hour west of Toronto.

#7 Posted: 13/5/2010 - 22:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.