Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok June 2010

• mmaleki

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2010

my friend and i have planned a three month trip to SEA for June-Aug 2010. were flying to bangkok and have been keeping track of the political situation very closely! as of right now there has been another outbreak of viloence, which has left us confused about where to stay when we get into bangkok as we arrive late at night AND have learned that the state of emergency has expanded and was wondering if anyone knows if it will affect our travels to the islands in the south and chiang

any help/advice would be SO SO SO appreciated!!
    happy travels!

#1 Posted: 13/5/2010 - 23:07

• Advertisement

• gardensnail

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2010

Hi mmaleki

We are flying into KL. My advise is to book a flight to another country
    and not leave BKK.

Personally, although very disappointed about events in Bangkok, we will visit other SE Asian countries and make a decision about Thailand when the situation is clearer.

Having lived and worked in a country where political disruption was ever-present, it is not what I am looking for whilst on holiday. It is not necessarily that there is a present danger but the uncertainty about travel and what is possible from day to day.

Hope this helps. Very sad for the Thai people.

#2 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 09:08

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Very difficult to say at this stage. Matters are extremely changeable - I'd be flat out making an accurate forecast for this afternoon -- lets not even think about next month!

As it stands today, if I was flying into Bangkok today, I would stay either out on Sukhumvit Rd or in the Khao San Road area. I wouldn't stay near the Siam Square area or Silom Rd areas of town. I'd keep my sightseeing to a minimum and probably spend most of my time outside of Bangkok.

It is really a bit of a wait and see period for now.

#3 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 10:40

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

#3:
    As it stands today, if I was flying into Bangkok today, I would stay either out on Sukhumvit Rd or in the Khao San Road area.

but maybe not lower Sukhumvit (smaller number sois)...early this morning, report of troops vs reds around Nana:
    http://twitter.com/BKKApologist/statuses/13935444787
    & BTS Nana station is closed today - first time it has been singled out for closure (together with the usual Siam, Chidlom, Ratchadamri & National Stadium) since Ratchaprasong was occupied.

#4 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 10:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bangkok to Siem Reap June 2010 ... By bakpakk on 25 May 2010 4 1956 15 Jun 2010
Bangkok - Siem Reap journey by land ( June 2010) ... By bakpakk on 5 Apr 2010 2 1603 9 Apr 2010